Filling bobbins from small spools

I ordered a couple spools of Bottom Line thread because they were out of the color I wanted in cones.  I've been filling my bobbins on the turbo-winder (the separate bobbin winder that came with Millie) using Superior's stand to hold the spool horizontally. I didn't put the end "cap" on the spool holder too tight so the spool can rotate freely.  I guided the thread thru the normal guides on the winder as if it were a cone.  My question is, do I need to loosen the tension on the winder so the spool isn't wound so tight?

It seems once I bring the thread up thru the quilt sandwich the thread pulls very hard.  It's OK when doing the bobbin drop test, but pulling thru the three layers tugs quite a bit.  More than normal.  My quilt sandwich is normal cotton fabric and QD 70/30 blend which I use all the time.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance.

I would try to wind them on your turbo winder just as you would a cone of thread.  Put the thread net on, and load the spool vertically, even though the spool isn't cross wound.  I've done this with bobbins on my winder when I didn't have the thread in the tension disc correctly, and needed to re-wind the bobbin.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.  I'm probably overthinking this and too worried about the twist of the thread if wound incorrectly.

I re-wound the bobbin so now it's not so "packed" and it's pulling thru the quilt sandwich more like it should. 

Archived