HELP with centering needle pleeeeeeeze!

FrammaJoy

Hi FrammaJoy

You should only use very light pressure when holding down the ruler and light pressure when guiding the machine along the ruler.

Lay the ruler on the quilt at the angle you want to quilt, with your left hand on the ruler spread your fingers apart a little so that your hand is in the centre of the ruler. If you are doing a diagonal line, put the machine close to the bottom of the ruler and stitch up until the hopping foot is level with your ring finger on your left hand and then creep your fingers up the ruler

so that when you start stitching upwards again you will have control over the top of the ruler and it won't shift.

Good luck,

Sue in Australia

Ah, Sue, you make it sound so easy! If only it was!

My templates never seem to line up the same way twice. Last time I used the rope template I finally gave up and just traced it on the quilt with chalk and then stitched it freehand following the line. It actually looked better than when I was trying to use the template!

Phyllis

I agree. If I don't hold that ruler down with a death grip, the foot moves it off its mark. In order to make the foot go in and out of a wave, you have to kind of push the two together. I also sew from the top/down, the bottom/up, side to side, etc. How could you sew from the bottom to the top of a template when going across the quilt?

If I am using a straight ruler to just help guide the foot, then I don't have any problem. It is the curvy ones that create the problem for me.

Hugs, Joy

Joy, I use a product from 3M on the back of my rulers. It's like a very rouch sandpaper and I got it from Lakeside Quilting (I think-been too long ago). It's sold by the inch and is about 1 inch wide. It DOES NOT slide well across the fabric when you want to reposition it, so be careful in that respect.

Joy

You will be much happier if you put some non slip stuff on the back of your rulers when using them against the foot. My preferance lately is temporary basting spray, just a light misting will do it. And when it gets too linty and hard to see through the ruler, use some goo gone to remove it and start all over. While you have the goo gone out and on the rag, wipe down your rails! I LOVE that stuff and it smells good too!

You will find that you do not have to white knuckle a ruler or a template to achieve good results. And the horrid ruler skreetch willl go away as well!

Sherry,

I certainly will try the goo gone. Got lots of it around.

I wanted to ask you about the markers. The Marvy Air Erase (hope that's right) markers. I used them on my most recent quilt -- maybe I can post a picture -- and I could not get the marks to stay even one minute. Before I could put the pen down and go back to sew, the mark would be gone. I am talking about just one little heart, not a whole bunch of marks. I marked hard too. What is the secret for that?

(Can't figure out how to post pic's here. I've already seen the remarks on "How To", but still can't make it work.)

Hugs, Joy

Hi Phyllis

I wouldn't say its easy, its just something that needs practice. Think of using rulers in the same way as using any other new tool and be kind to yourself. - it might take a little while to feel in control of the machine and the ruler.

When you first get your machine you need to learn how to stand and move when quilting a panto,

Rulers are no different, spend a few hours experimenting, draw up some curves, vertical horizontal and diagonal lines of different lengths and practice co-ordinating both hands together using light pressure to hold down the ruler and "guide" the machine foot along the ruler in all directions repositioning your hand, the one on the ruler, as you feel you are losing control. Holding the ruler down too heavily can affect stitch quality.

I mainly use straight rulers, even on curves, afterall you will never have a curved ruler that exactly copies the shape of the piecing because piecing is almost never perfect. I just go slow around curves, pivoting my straight ruler regularly as I go. Once you can use straight rulers you should find it much easier to use all the other great shapes available such as the really cool rope. Think of the rope as the advanced level of ruler work.

Good luck and enjoy practicing

Sue in Australia

Hi Joy

Sounds like you may have a humid room you are working in? Try running the fan when you are working with the Marvy's. My lines last a min. of many hours up to several days. When my room is too warm, my marks dissapear fast too! Hope this helps!

I wanted to ask you about the markers. The Marvy Air Erase (hope that's right) markers. I used them on my most recent quilt -- maybe I can post a picture -- and I could not get the marks to stay even one minute. Before I could put the pen down and go back to sew, the mark would be gone.

Archived