Thread for sewing vinyl together

Thanks Linda, I googled it, and saw heavy duty thread as well, but wanted another option if someone had actually "done it" before,, and could give me their results. Did it tear, how well did it hold up, etc.

All

I may just give it a whirl and push comes to shove I make her another one.  Stuff's not cheap. This one is Black Alligator design to match her salon chairs. Their stunning!!  She has such a classy salon, I don't want to mess it up!  LOL!

Depends on the vinyl. If it is fabric backed it will hold up. If not, it will tear out.

If you use a heavy thread, even the heavy duty at Wal-Mart,you should be fine. It is rarely the stitching that breaks. It is usually the vinyl that tears at the seams.

Any possibility that you could reinforce the stitching line so that it's not just vinyl? Perhaps stitch in a bias binding, or even a selvedge/selvage

edges to give it reinforcement at the seams. (not like we don't have yards of those! lol!)

I'd do both sides of the seam allowance.  Use the binder clips to hold the layers?  

And, lengthen your stitch length. The needle's making little perforations, so make them farther apart & less likely to tear. 

s

The fabric is fabric lined. Not the cheap thin vinyl stuff. If I added anymore to it, I probably wouldn't get the needle thru it, and the bulk would be awful.

Im going to "wing it" with just the Heavy Duty Thread and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I figured there wouldn't be too many who've actually done this thing before, but it was worth a shot here anyway! 

Ya know, this site HAS to be the first one we all go to for questions on anything.  LOL!  <3

I reupholstered two chairs and front and back seats in a Barracuda,

this was in the 60-s to 80-s and they held up better than a couple jobs I

did with their "upholstery" fabrics. 

The car and two chairs got lots of use, Lots of it..

I used the (use to be) good Coats heavy duty.  Came out great.

Do use a longer stitch than normal or it will cut thru the vinyl.  If I remember

right, I used a 4 stitch length, long but not basting length.

P.S.   If you have to sew with the vinyl outside against the throat plate,

put paper under it so it will move evenly.  Tracing paper or typing paper.

sew right thru the paper. remove later.

I recently repaired a vinyl cover for a piece of garage equipment. The vinyl did have fabric on the back. It had piping at the seams, so it had 4 layers of the vinyl to sew through. I used my walking foot and heavier thread, but lengthened the stitch. It had torn due to the wind on the cover in the back of a pickup. When it was finished, it looked almost like new.

Archived