Design Help Needed

Ok all you experts out there. I've had my Millie for about two years now. Have done a lot of PPP and small things on it. This is the largest quilt I've put on it. It has been hanging for a long time.

So I loaded it the normal way not thinking very smart....

The quilt has vertical strips of fabric throughout the length of the quilt. These strips are either gold with a few stars on it or black with a few gold stars on it. There are lots of different blocks plus some appliqué baskets. So far I've decided in CC for the blocks, piano keys for the borders. Curves in the sashing. CH behind the baskets. I'm clueless for the strips other than feathers.

Questions: would I feather over top of the stars? And should I take the quilt off and load sideways to do the feathers in the strips. It's a little tough doing them so far then rolling to continue them.

This was a Jo Morton quilt in a magazine. I can't find the magazine. These pics are on my Millie.

post-6130-0-91014400-1414431025_thumb.jpg

post-6130-0-59014900-1414431043_thumb.jpg

The designs you've used are perfect for the Jo Morton quilt! Outstanding quilting, Ann!

I would probably not use feathers behind the strips of stars unless you've used some feathers elsewhere. Just my opinion... 

Your skills are obviously top-notch,  :) , so I suggest you mark and stitch "ghost stars" exactly like the applique (or printed?) stars in the strips. Stitch the star, the echo, and the outer dense filler so they are the same size and equal distance from each star. Then stipple behind the rest of the background in matching thread. For the black stars, I wouldn't stitch the small surrounding stars, just a copy of the large one. This design idea would keep with the primitive feel of the top.

If you want/need/love feathers, discard my ideas above and isolate the stars with a box--stitch a quarter inch inside the seams and make a box by stitching across the the other seam. Then stitch the same echo/dense filler inside the box that you used to surround the gold stars. Now you're left with another box between the stars where you can stitch a classic feathered wreath. That way you don't need to re-load sideways to run the feathers. Box the wreaths or stipple behind them to fill the space.

Have fun---great quilt!

You could ghost in some additional stars,then just do a fill behind them and the applique ones. You could do very large pebbles or echo around your stars with slightly wavy lines. I hate rolling, quilting just the one area, then rolling again. I always turn the quilt to do long runs. I turn for borders, too, because to me it takes less time than all the rolling and starts and stops.

Oh you guys are awesome. I knew I could count on some advice. I didn't much like the ideas of feathers either Linda. So to make sure I'm clear you're all saying do ghost stars in the strips with the stars (they are printed not appliqués). I love that idea. Now...do I do them at random or jus a few here and there? Then you're saying echo outside the star (which I already did on one) then do a dense filler beside the echo line? Then stipple? How much dense filler would I use and any suggestions?

Or are you saying do some dense filler then widen out and go into some stippling? Sorry I'm asking questions but I'm a little confused and just want to make sure I'm understanding.

Hi Ann. My thought was to stitch an exact duplicate of the stars you have finished. Same size, same stitching around them, and placed exactly between the two.  So you end up with three stars instead of two. With the three stars exactly the same size and with the same stitching, you can decide what you'd like to stitch in the rest of the background. Stipple is good. Or a marked grid that you can use as a guide for more CCs. A baptist fan freehand fill would look good as well and be friendly to the primitive feel of the quilt.

You can also consider random smaller stars stitched the same way but scattered here and there--as you mentioned in your post. That would look great stitched in matching thread and can be dense enough that you won't need a background filler.

Have fun---it looks great so far!

Gotcha! Now I'm ready to dive in again. I've been dragging my feet about what to do. This sounds like a plan.

And thank you all for the compliments. Coming from you experts makes me that I have hope although I will never be as good as all of you.

Thank you again and I will post finished pics when I'm done.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated post with finished pics. Whew...I didn't think I would ever get this done. It was mine so I really wanted to do some custom for practice on it. I like how the top turned out. I've learned a lot of what I will and will not do next time. Thanks to all who gave me advice on design. I knew I could count on all of you.

post-6130-0-11988300-1416624354_thumb.jpg

post-6130-0-01794900-1416624489_thumb.jpg

post-6130-0-09073100-1416624525_thumb.jpg

Archived