Stitch length -

I'm finally venturing into non-stitch regulated mode.   I think I'm actually leaning towards it now!  However,  I am having troubles with my bobbin breaking at the starts and stops /pauses.     I have it set at 13 as I am a pretty fast quilter, but when I start, it is too fast so my bobbin thread always breaks.   :angry:

Any suggestions?  Is it just something that I will get better at, or is there a trick to this non SR mode?  B)

I have also noticed that when I am ON stitch regulated mode (setting at 11)  because I stitch faster, it's almost like my stitches are longer than they are when doing more slower work, at the same setting (11 on stitch regulated).   Has anyone else noticed that?   Could this also be the problem to my tension issues that I have been posting about?    :wacko:

Andrea:  I'm with Carol.  When I first got Zelda, I had a similar problem breaking thread (she wasn't stitch regulated then).  It seemed that the bobbin would spin after she stopped stitching.  I learned from asking people about it, that there should have been a backlash spring in the bobbin case.  Apparently the previous owner had removed it.  I put one in and the problem went away.  (actually I think I made a card stock disk that I put in the bobbin case to serve the same purpose)  Take a look at your bobbin case situation and see if that might be the source of your problem.  Good luck.  Jim

Is there any reason you can't slow down a bit?  I'm a fairly slow quilter, and haven't had any problem with thread breaks when I'm in manual mode.  I did, however, have problems with breaks at the end of the row when my IQ was stitching -- I let it go at a faster speed than I do.  I bought a pigtail bobbin case, and that seems to have really helped things out.  I think normal rotation of the hook leaves the thread at a very vulnerable spot (about 9 o'clock) when running quickly and then coming to a stop.  The pigtail will hold your thread out of that normal spot and reduce the breakage.

It's not my speed - it's right at the very start - as if everything is spinning too fast and the bobbin thread breaks.    

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to order another bobbin backlash spring and see if that helps.   Or just switch back to SR for now. LOL

Holy cow,  I went to check shipping costs on a spring and it is 23.00 to ship to Canada!!   :lol:    

Andrea,

That shipping charge is outrageous! The backlash or brake spring is only $2 and some change and doesn't weigh anything. I have the guy from the CA APQS store coming to my house Monday to look at my machine. I could have him bring a couple to me and mail them to you. It shouldn't be much more than a letter would cost to send.

If you would like me to do this, PM me and I will be happy to help!

You are sweet-  I'm sure it is some kind of apqs automated shipping 'glitch' .  Nonetheless I'm going to contact Sparrow Studioz first and see if they have an extra lying around. If not, contact apqs and ask them about that crazy shipping.       Linda,  I may take you up on your offer -  you are so kind to offer, thank you!   Let me see if I can go the other route first!  ;)

Archived