Big Frog Job

Get an eyebrow trimmer (a small plastic-handled razor blade with a guard), leave the quilt loaded, lift up the top and the batting, and with some gentle tugging, expose the edge of the threads you need to frog. Nick the threads and pull. You'll be amazed at how quickly this goes. I frogged a border that was eight inches wide and about 70" long in about a half hour. The only down side is removing the thread remnants. I drag a big rubber eraser along the top threads to get them in a pile. A sticky lint roller works on the back. Any obnoxious threads on the batting are picked off by hand.

$4.99 at my local supermarket...

http://www.amazon.com/Jessica-Tinkle-Eyebrow-Shaper-3pk/dp/B000BIUGFK

Another trick I heard is to use your seam ripper and cut about every third to fifth stitch on the back of the quilt.  When you've got the whole thing done, you can just lift up the top thread and have fun watching it zip out all of the frog stitching.  (since that's the only fun part of the job, I use that word loosely ;) )

I've also used a single edge razor blade.  Regardless of the tool, it's not a fun job.  If you don't have a saddle stool and the hydraulic lift, this might be a time to invest in both.  It's so much easier on your back if you can lower the machine, and sit to do a big job like this.  

This is NOT the time for WINE though!  Take a break, and walk away from the quilt and the machine before you open the wine.  Lisa Boyer, author of ""That Dorky Homemade Look", names her seam ripper "Jack".   Took me the longest time to realize that this makes it "Jack, the Ripper".  She also suggests that seam rippers should have a chocolate dispenser.

You're right, Bonnie. But with the eyebrow trimmer there is a blade guard so the chance of nicking the fabric is low. You need to be careful if there is a build-up of thread in a point. If you lift the top and batting sometimes the backer fabric will pull up as well, so care must be taken to only nick the thread. The theory is, if you cut a hole in the backer, there's extra fabric to make a patch or place behind a small hole. If you cut the top, it's more noticeable and harder to repair. 

My favorite method is to ask Himself to do it for me.    :lol:    :D   :)

We raced thru a test sandwich to see which could go faster:

His nicking every 3rd or 4th stitch,

Or my using a blade, it happened to be a 24 roller cutter.

He beat me by about 16-18".  Dern!!  rofl

One way to Usually Avoid cutting the backing or top when

using any blade is to angle it slightly towards the batting.

So for future reference what is the way to best cover a nick in the fabric be it the back or top? I haven't really frogged any customer quilts but a few of my own and have cut the fabric learning to frog it  and just ended up cutting off the damaged areas and remaking the squares and putting them into the top but I had the extra fabric. not sure what to do about small nicks on something that I don't have extra fabric for.

Archived