How to fix Wiggly Hartley Base

I changed out my RulerMate to the Hartley Base today.  I'm finding the Hartley Base is Wiggly and the edges don't line up well with the front of the machine.  My ruler get's caught at that point and causes all sorts of problems.  Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it.  I wanted to use the Hartley Base to practice with my rulers because it was bigger then the ruler mate.   I'm also not good with rulers (that's why I'm practicing ) so maybe it's just something I'm doing that's wrong?

Thanks!

Did you take the plastic hole covers out of the holes at the bottom front of your head??  There's an instruction sheet in with the Base that tells you about that.  If you don't take them out, it will indeed be wiggly.  And if the Base sits slightly higher, you can add an extra thin washer to each of the screws on your thread cutter to even things out.

Adding the washers as Barb said is crucial to your rulers not getting caught. I didn't remove anything when I used the base. I don't really see anything to remove, but the base fits fine. If you need to tighten it up a bit, I would try adding a strip of duct tape to the base or the machine and see if that is enough to tighten it. I love my Hartley base.

I don't see any plastic hole covers on the bottom base of my machine - they must have already been off.  My needle plate cover already has 2 washers underneath it - do I need to add yet another one. I think that would make it higher then the plastic covering the cutter.   I don't have any instructions with the base since it was used when I got it.   The ruler gets caught in the spot where the base fits to the base of the machine.  I've tried adding the duct tape to the bottom of the base but that didn't fix the problem.

Are there any other options for ruler work besides the Rulermate and Hartley base?   The Rulermate fits fine however I wanted something just a little bigger.

Don't add washers to your needle plate - that will mess with your hopping foot height, just not worth it!! But you can add washers to your thread cutter screws.  Can you post a photo of how your base fits onto your machine?  It may be that you have the older style that doesn't cover the whole head - some users have added cardboard to fill the space.  Post a photo and we'll see if we can't get it working for you.

I don't know how to post a photo however the base slides on the head on both sides and fits around the machine base (sides and front) - it doesn't go overtop of the machine base.   It wiggles and doesn't fit flush against the machine top.   If someone can tell me how to attach a picture to a post, I can do that.

• 1 year later...

Archived