Which wool?

I love the dream company wool batting. It is washable but be sure it is washed in cool to cold water and air dried or on very low temp in the dryer. The batting is thermal bonded so you cannot use hot water as the batting will eventually migrated if you breakup the thermal bonding. This batting gives great definition to your quilting. I remind my customers that the quilt will seem smaller when quilted with this batting as the loft and quilting will 'shrink' the total size.

I've used Hobbs Tuscany wool and QD wool with good (quilting) results. As far as care, I haven't heard any negative feedback from customers or quilty friends.

Dave, do you have a business license/ tax ID#? If so, you can visit EE Schencks in Portland to get a great wholesale price on both packages and rolls of batting. They will allow you to purchase under their minimum within your first year, but from then on they expect you to buy a minimum of $1000 per year.

I'm sure you know that Fabric Depot offers their version of wholesale prices when you buy in wholesale quantities. You're lucky to has both these businesses so close!

I've used Hobbs Tuscany wool and QD wool with good (quilting) results. As far as care, I haven't heard any negative feedback from customers or quilty friends.

Dave, do you have a business license/ tax ID#? If so, you can visit EE Schencks in Portland to get a great wholesale price on both packages and rolls of batting. They will allow you to purchase under their minimum within your first year, but from then on they expect you to buy a minimum of $1000 per year.

I'm sure you know that Fabric Depot offers their version of wholesale prices when you buy in wholesale quantities. You're lucky to has both these businesses so close!

Thanks Linda, I do actually have an acct with EE Schenk and was planning to go there to buy it! I just don't know which wool they stock.

I just bought a roll (30 yards) of 94" wide Tuscany wool from Schenck and it was $7.20 per yard. Go to their site and view the catalog to see the different brands and what different fibers they offer. If you're getting a roll, pre-order so you're sure it's there for pick-up. The shopping is wonderful, but the check-out is cumbersome.

Another new product I picked up yesterday was Tuscany 50/50 wool-cotton blend. I imagine it will be wonderful and I will be using it in my son's wedding quilt.  :)

I love how breatheable and light a wool batting is for a bed quilt (especially king), soft drape, good definition and good for cuddles. I use Tuscany 100% wool for all my personal quilts that don't hang on a wall and it's so satisfying to quilt, never beards. (I'm battling a Hobbs cotton/poly roll right now that beards no matter what I do. I even talked to vice president of Hobbs to make sure I was 'right side up'!). I agree, wool does pull in more due to loft, but I prefer it over working with double batt.

Wool as a fibre doesn't like to be shocked. I dont know about the thermal bonding over time (QD vs Tuscany). I'm just more aware of washing in hand temperature water and cool dry. Wool is almost dry with a good spin anyway, not like cotton! Eucalan with lavender is a great wool quilt wash.

For clients, some are still scared of 100 wool and I've been using a lot of Hobbs 80/20 cotton-wool. LOVE it. No bearding, a bit more loft than cotton/poly, and it just feels better to the hand. I haven't seen a 50/50 blend. Where is this?

Anne

Natural animal batting needs to be cleaned, carded, cross-lapped, and an even thickness before it can be used in a quilt. Our local all-things-alpaca celebration is called Alpacapalooza and vendors there have batts for sale. They are super-pricey and really aren't appropriate for use in a quilt. First because they aren't big enough (the largest I've seen was a yard square) but also because the ones I've handled are too irregular in thickness to give a good result.  I'd also be afraid of migration of fibers through the fabric. I think the recommended use was as filler in a comforter that would then have a duvet cover on it.

But if you have the time and talent to make a usable batt for a quilt---it would be wonderful and warm!  :)

Archived