I think I have lost a customer

Help

The lady with the butterfly, daisy quilt is upset.  She thinks that I misled her.  I told her that I could quilt her quilt for $0.0125 a square inch with an all over design on the phone.  When she dropped off the quilt I told her that the design would echo around her embroidery and that we would need to pick a design for the quilt that she liked.  She said ok.  Yesterday she came to drop off another quilt and I said we need to decide on this design because I am ready to start on your quilt.  She said I thought you would have it on the machine working on it.  I said you need to chose a pattern because I cannot start without that.  So we looked at more patterns and she still could not decide so she left and I sent out to this forum for help.  I then emailed her some suggestions and today she called and started talking about how at the shop where she took her classes they had quilted with this and with this and could I do that.  I said I could but if I did that she would be looking at custom pricing which was $0.03 a square inch and I had been staying in the $0.0125 price range that I had quoted her.  If she wanted the other I would be happy to do it but she needed to let me know.  She was not happy and I could tell that she felt like I had pulled the wool over her eyes.  Did I do something wrong?  My prices are listed on the form that I have them fill out and sign and I did state all over design.  But maybe I should have explained that better.  What is funny is that yesterday, I had joking said that I should have her make me a quilt and she had said that I could not afford her.  But she is mad about my prices and I am worried that she will speak badly about me at the Local Quilt Shop that sends lots of work my way.  What should I do?

Mary

I woudl try again to speak to her, make sure she understands the situation.  Perhaps you could show her some of the quilts you have done for that low price, then show her some that you have done that are semi custom and explain to her about the extra time involved.  I have to wonder if she just misunderstood, rather than thinking you intentionally mislead her.  That quilt is lovely and it will be pretty, no matter what she has done to it. 

I hope this does not bring you down or make you feel like you did something wrong. More than likely it was just a verbal misunderstanding.  SHe may decide to have somebody else quilt it or she might pay your price; but I don't think you are responsible for her unhappiness. 

It is not up to you to make her hobby more affordable..which is really what she wants. The fact that she misunderstood does not mean you misled her. Maybe she should come get her quilt and take it wherever they took the one quilted the way she wants. I bet it won't be 1.25 cents an inch. I don't do custom for less than 3.5 cents as a starting point. I don't do anything for less than 1.5 cents. If you lost her as a customer because you want to be paid what your work is worth, you haven't lost much.

I can't know for sure, but she looks like a novice quilter. The class she took might have been for the embroidery and she had to figure out a way to use the motifs in a useful, larger project. So the easy piecing of the colored column and the addition of all that white surrounding was what she thought was a solution to making the top larger.  I don't want to seem a quilt snob, but the quilt is unbalanced in design with unrelated elements--but it'll be great after it's quilted.

If that's the case that she's a newbie piecer, she sounds like she's never taken a quilt to a longarmer before and needs some guidance. If you still want to take on the job, have her check with another quilter so she can get straight in her mind what the standard fees are and what each level of quilting entails. You're the professional and didn't mislead her in any way. If she feels that you did I think she sounds not so much mad as flustered. When she gets it straight in her mind, you may still get the job. But if you don't, realize that maybe it's for the best. We like to build a rapport with customers and either she won't be back or you'll become friends.

As for a concern that she'll bad-mouth you at the LQS, people who work retail are quick to size up the crazies. They may nod and smile if someone complains about a problem, but it isn't businesslike or advisable to share that. The closed system of quilting makes all elements rely on each other for support and making a living. No shop would give you a bad review from just one disgruntled person. Your reputation is good and the referrals will continue.

Thank you so much everyone for the encouraging words. I hate to have anyone be displeased with me but I know that what each one of you have said is correct. I have done my best to explain things to her and she has left the quilt with me but I am nervous that she is not going to like what I do no matter how good it is but I will just have to my best and hope for the best.

Thanks again

Mary

Mary, your prices are very competitive and she will find that she would pay the same or more at another quilter. Misleading her would have been if you went ahead and quilted it and charged her more. By telling her your prices up front you were honest. I agree with Linda, she was probably frustrated because she is not knowledgeable about longarming yet. If she complains at the LQS I bet they will educate her and she will feel better.

When a local Quilt Shop has been sending folks your way,

they should follow up any complaints by positive feedback

about all the positive comments you have received.

If she is unhappy, ask her if she has taken a quilt to anyone else

in the past, and if so, ask what they did to it that made her happy.

Don't ask what they charged, just say what you wou ld have charged.

That should give her info to give her a comparrison...

If it is her first quilt, show and explain to her how things are done,

and why it is more costly to do one thing, over another.

I would hope she learns and appreciates your teaching her about

long arm quilting.

Rita

Congrats on the machine, Joan!   Much fun and satisfaction ahead!

Please don't be scared!! Just like other "catastrophes" the rare bad customer is just that---rare!

Stories like this one get lots of attention because we empathize with her. And we're full of advise and stories of our own to use as examples.

I've been going for 10 years now and have shared two bad customer stories. I was looking for sympathy--nods of recognition or head shakes of amazement!  :D

Don't waste another moment feeling guilty or anxious over this.  It sounds as if you have been honest and forthcoming with what is needed- that's all you can do.  Sometimes people just don't like the answers they get and find ways to blame you.  Your regulars are happy so you are obviously doing it right.  TM

I have been in business for almost two years now - and being one of the newest around here, the fears of upsetting a client are still fresh on my mind.  I think that's probably the biggest hurdle that you have to overcome as a long armer - that fear of dealing with an unhappy customer.  Truly.  I have had clients that nearly made me quit - and more than once I was in tears.  But I will say that as time goes by my hide gets thicker.  

Just remember - you are not Walmart.  What you do - no matter how simple or complex - is custom work.  It is specialized work.  Work that you invested a large amount of time and money into.  Be honest and forthright about your pricing but if someone finds you too expensive, allow them to move on.  You can be kind about this.  If someone finds you too high - think about this now - do you want to haggle every time you deal with them in the future just to work for less than others will gladly pay you without complaint?  Do you want them to send all their haggling friends to you?  LOL  NO!  I sure don't.  This doesn't have to mean you be rude or unkind or uncaring...but just kindly explain this is what you charge...and that is that.  You would love to work for her but understand if it doesn't fit within her budget and recommend some other wonderful long armers she might inquire with.  Another client WILL come along.  This was something I used to struggle with...feeling as if I HAD to say yes, because it might be the last quilt I EVER get to work on!  Trust me, nothing is farther from the truth.   :)

No matter how amazing you are there will be stinkers.  This is another thing I always try to remember.  The best of the best get stinkers.  Also miscommunications happen no matter how much you try to avoid them.  A wonderful person in all other aspects of life can still be a stinky client.  Things change when money is involved.  Keep your chin up!!!  Just keep being kind and honest and do your best work and good things will come!   :)

Archived