Sharing your work - show or exhibit? Art or traditional?

Last fall I was fortunate to go with a couple of artist friends of mine to Quilt National in Athens, Ohio.  I had a great time and really enjoyed the art quilts that I saw there that day.  I'm a huge fan of Susan Shie and her work and was over the moon to have the opportunity to see one of her pieces live and in person.  I became a fan of a few other new to me artists that day who I now follow and get a lot of inspiration from.

I am so glad I went to the show to see the best of the best in that particular genre of quilting.  If you have ever been - you know how different the feeling is from these quilts than those you might see at Houston Quilt Festival.  But then again - at the same time - you  might even see some of the SAME quilts at a show like Quilt National that are at Houston Quilt Festival!  

This is kind of where things get murky for me.  I know we all are just making our own forms of art and they don't necessarily require a label.  I have always thought of myself as a traditional quilter who dabbles in art quilting or fiber arts.  Before quilting I was really into sketching and painting...so it feels really natural for me to combine the two and start exploring my art with fabric and paint more.  I also want to share what I'm doing...I think part of the fun is sharing your expression of self with others...and I think we all enjoy some validation of our talents.  Some confirmation that the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars we have invested in ourselves has not gone wasted....

...but how do you determine how to define your work?  Where and when to show your work?  What makes you choose attempting Houston Quilt Festival over Quilt National?  Both are a really big deal...and I see quilts that could show well n both shows.  

Another thing that REALLY made an impression on me was that at Quilt National there seemed no required standard of construction.  The emphasis seemed to be on visual impact above all else.  You could see some artists were extremely skilled with their sewing machines and really knew how to apply those techniques to their artwork - while others were very talented at creating amazing composition but lacked skill in the basic elements of quilt construction.  It really scrambled my brain to be honest...and to judge these quilts...why how on earth do they judge these kinds of quilts?  Though I did thoroughly enjoy myself I still struggle a bit to wrap my head around it.

I am also overwhelmed by the descriptions artists give themselves...quilt artist, fiber artist, textile artist, surface design artist, contemporary quilt artist...I start to get lost and I'm not really sure who is what or if these titles sort of meld into each other and someone who is a textile artist might also be a fiber artist or a surface design artist...it's all a little confusing to me if I'm being really truthful.

Does anyone here enjoy these contemporary/fine art themed quilt shows?  What's your take?  Any insights or thoughts to share?  What do you prefer and why?  How do you determine where your work fits and where to share and show?

I just consider it all eye candy and inspiration and I don't try to fit myself in there anywhere.  I call myself a quilter.  I have a decent amount of talent in that area.  My piecing may not be perfect all the time, but it's pretty good and I have a good eye for color and composition.  I don't worry about it all.  I quilt for my own peace of mind and satisfaction.  That's why I don't put quilts in shows.  It would be stressful to me and I don't stress when I'm sewing/quilting.  I love that other people put quilts in shows.  I think our work should be looked at like art and not all technique.  I've never heard someone at an art (ie paintings) show tear apart the artists techniques and examine the paint strokes like they do in quilt shows.  Stand back...look at the quilt...and admire it all or walk away and say it's not your cup of tea.   

I attended a very small local quilt show earlier this year and they had an area with a bed and about 20 or so "antique" quilts layered on top.  Two ladies were holding each quilt up and talking about it then removed that quilt and did the same with the next quilt until they had shown all the quilts.  Most of these quilt were very old and very ordinary and some were not made especially well.  I hesitate to say some were ugly so I'll just say they were not my cup of tea until I heard the story behind each one.  One had been made by a very elderly lady who had mostly lost her eyesight...another by a very young girl who was just learning to sew...each had a story.  The stories changed my view on the quilts. 

I've reached a time in my life where I get all the satisfaction I need from liking my own work and to see the joy in others eyes when they get to be the recipient of one of my quilts.  When I get positive comments it makes me even happier.  Probably why I show pics of my quilts on here.  This forum provides me with all the positive reinforcement I need.

I see what you're saying and where you're coming from Oma.  I think you share the feeling of a vast many quilters.  :)

I think I'm looking to better define and understand so that I can use that knowledge to better guide me through my own journey.  I have this feeling and this need to explore...but I'm not even sure where I'm headed.  I think these shows and quilts inspire something in me but what to do with that inspiration is still a mystery.

I absolutely love the art quilts I am seeing now.  They are so amazing and unbelievable.  I almost drool when looking at them...lol.  I have a portrait quilt I've been working on for over ten years.  Well, obviously not working on because it would have been finished by now, but it has been started...lol.  I do want to finish it.  I would probably want to enter it into a show somewhere too.  When I was younger I had the drive to do this, but as a young, single mother I seldom found the time or extra money.  Now that I have the time and the money I don't seem to have the "want to" much anymore. 

I say to you...follow your heart.  Your heart will take you in the direction you need to go.  If you have a dream or inspiration by all means follow it to the ends of the earth.  Don't try to fit yourself into someone else's box and don't add extra labels that restrict you.  You are an Artist!  Start there and you'll end up where you want to be.  I look forward to seeing some of your work. 

I would love to see your ten year "in progress" art quilt Oma!!!   :)  I have a number of those kinds of projects that I was passionate about once but then became distracted by other projects that seemed to have more urgency!  :)

I will attach a few photos of a current project I'm working on.  Below is a painting I started with a new set of Inktense pencils I recently acquired.  I have filled in quite a bit more since I took this photo, all the water is painted.  In an effort not to overwhelm all the "non-artsy or quilty" types in my FB feed I haven't added more photos yet.  Today I'm working on the background that in the photo here is still just unpainted muslin - I will share more when I've made some good progress.

15105751273_9ee4bb3cf4.jpg10384195_883244575022130_7043044486269133493_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

15701418016_9418fb733c.jpg1441441_882847205061867_4818816374025152062_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

Here are a few random experiments.  Like I said, I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going and what I'm doing!

14501860957_56415d49c7.jpg10534540_829245020422086_8018005764952825717_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

15701483056_7fa086feb1.jpg1908349_806791492667439_5391315361182342341_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

15701477456_fc556a4d46.jpg1503898_766081440071778_1767252035_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

15539298749_7aa1c7a910.jpg66835_773422086004380_4800329401104896139_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

I so appreciate your insight Oma.  I think you are right - I think it is really important to follow your heart.  I am very much a thinker...sometimes the mind gets in the way and can be the biggest thing to hold us back from doing what we really want to do.  I do love all the art quilting that has been popping up too.  It is really neat to see what people are making!

Regarding the "tearing apart of work" - I hope I didn't sound that way when I first spoke about the construction of some of the quilts I saw.  At least for me, my intention was not to tear down...but more I personally was just making an observation.  I do think that when you get into the competitive realm of quilting...things can get ugly very quickly.  I found that true even with the art quilt shows.  I think that is just something that happens anywhere and everywhere and while it's not always easy to take, especially when directed at your own work, I think it pays to have thick skin and just chalk it up to someone's opinion.  I think there is a lot of positivity and encouragement on both sides of the fence and I tend to be drawn to those types more than any other.

Well said Oma.

Valerie, you are one talented lady and you work diligently to express your creativity. In time, you will arrive at the place where you want to be, like a journey you said, enjoy every bit of it.

Every quilt has a story & everyone of them is a labor of love be it humble or very grand, kudos to every quilt maker I say.

I create quilts that I like and put colors that pleases me, traditional & modern as well.. I share my God given gifts by these quilts and I am still enjoying what I do. It's also good to be recognized, I have my share of more than a dozen blue ribbons but I refused to be stressed and make a life of constant production.

It blesses me to see the joy of receiving these little treasures I have made for gifting too. Life is good and I thank the Lord everyday for what He has given me.

Thank you for such kind words Corey!  I think I have really been in a slump of sorts not sure what I'm doing or where I'm going.  I think we all have times in our life of self reflection, reassessment.  I'm trying to identify and clarify my goals...my purpose.   

I realized something yesterday - I have had these "feelings" about the art quilting world for some time.  I couldn't articulate it.  I am actually so very glad I took time to write this post yesterday because it really helped me to understand a little more about myself and what I've been going through personally.  I have a few very serious artist friends in my life...some work with textiles/fabric and some fine art.  I never thought I really cared what others thought about what I'm doing...but I'm not a formally trained artist...and I realize because of that there will be a set that may never take me seriously.  That can be a tough pill to swallow when you really have to face these folks in life and in person!  So I think that intimidation factor has really affected me.  

But I am really starting to feel like you both are right.  I need to think a little less, worry a little less, and just explore what moves me and inspires me.  :)

I think it's nice to have beautiful workmanship alongside the artistic compositions so I'd say keep up your high standards as you continue growing with your work. It'll be wonderful to see what you do years from now. And I wouldn't worry whether you had a formal art background or not. You can learn a lot by doing your own studying and working in series.

Oma - oh how wonderfully encouraging you are!  Thank you!  "Don't compare yourself with other people."  YES!  You are so right.  This is hard to do isn't it?  But it's something I really truly need to try and make a conscious effort to avoid.  I am going to focus on just doing what I like, what I want to do, and not compare.  Thank you for your insight!  :)

Tami - oh you bring up such a great topic - working in series.  I really never used to get that.  But I see how it can be useful for those who seek to be seen as professional artists but also to grow your skill.  I think I really want to apply this to some of the things I've been working on and see what happens.  Thank you!

Archived