Buying Used Machine

HELP! I am looking to buy a used Millie...my first LA. I don't think I have been this excited since the birth of my first child 28 years ago! Can anyone give me advice on what to look at when I am evaluating the machine? It is a 2002. What is the life expectancy of a Millie? I am really nervous as I don't want to get a lemon. Buying new is much more expensive without the extras. According to the seller, it has only been used lightly < 15 total quilts. There is also a lot of extras included.

Thank you all for your advice. I am learning a lot just reading the chat forums!

Hi Dreamer:

The Millie we use daily here in our studio and use as a demonstrator is a 2002.

I would ask if this model has the channel lock upgrades and the current axle positions and wheels. If it doesn't it can be easily upgraded to the current configuration at a reasonable cost. If you save enough money these things can be upgraded (check with Linda at the factory for cost). You still might save a lot of money.

As to the machine, they are commercial machines and will run many years with minimum upkeep. 15 quilts is the same as new and everything should be fine. Make sure there is no physical damage and all the controls function. It should run smoothly and quietly.

One thing to consider is if it needs to be shipped as this can be expensive if you don't have an account with a freight company.

I would consider the purchase of a new owner?s manual since the current one is much improved over the 2002 one. It is worth the investment.

If I can be of any more help call or email me.

Happy hunting,

John

Thank you for information. I will keep that in mind when looking at the machine and check into pricing for the upgrade. Do you know if there are any other changes in the Millenium's since 2002 to present?

I will be picking up the machine if I decide to purchase as it is a local person so shipping will not be an issue.

Thanks again for the information and encouragement! :P

I believe the upgrades have been:

Channel Locks

Soft Mounts with relocated axles and the new black wheels.

New production has a stand alone bobbin winder. (Not a big deal at all). The on board B/W is fine.

I think that all 2002 models have a switch to turn the light on/off and was added about that time.

The table has been completely redesigned but the old one will be fine. New table has tubular legs and old one has square legs.

We still use our old table and it is fine. I would not be bothered by this at all.

John

dreamer-

You are more than welcome to come to my studio to see my set up in my studio. I have two machines. One is a 2002 millie and the other is a new millie with the compuquilter on it. I am in Hershey, which is only 30 minutes from where this used machine is located.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

My studio number is 717-533-1410

my email is queensquilting@comcast.net

Yours-

Sheri Flemming

I bought a used machine and it's been great. Make sure you check out every single control button to make sure it works properly. But - even if something doesn't work quite right, it's not that expensive to replace a few parts considering what you save off a new price.

I also recommend taking the maintenance class that APQS offers - $200 for 2 full days of most everything you need to be able to do. It did wonders for my confidence that just about everything I could do to mess it up is fixable...

Good luck!

Julia Graves

Speed Reading :D

I thought you said, "I am looking forward to the expense."

Trust me, your DREAM is worth every penny!

Be sure when you buy your machine that you find time to attend some classes. The best class I took at Innovations last September was the APQS Maintenance class. It gives you a lot of confidence to know how your machine works and that you are taking care of it properly.

~~ Eva H.

Archived