Easy Binding Winder

That is a great idea and the plastic prototype is way cuter that the wooden original!

It's a simple but inspired design for something none of us knew we needed until we saw it. :P 

Good luck to them and I imagine we'll be seeing these in the quilts shops in a year. Secondary use in the same vein---great to store those miles of bias "vines" used in applique. Third use--unscrolling the same bias vines when you need to iron on quarter-inch fusible to the underside.

Really, any time you need to store and dispense ribbon, cording, yarn for couching, or other embellishments for quilts, this would be a handy gadget to have. 

But it's pink with little handles!! B) 

Just kidding---I roll my binding leaving a big enough opening to fit it on my wrist. Then I unwind it as I use it. Just saying that every gadget adds a bit of fun and I have bought more than my share. You should see my seldom-or-never-used template drawer!

DH made me a version of a wooden paper towel holder only with the base a little wider and the post shorter...........I use toilet paper tubes to wind my binding on, slip over the post and it pulls right off as i sew on the binding.   If I have several projects lined up for bindings, I can wind several different toilet paper tubes and just pop them on as I use them.  I sit my binding holder just to my right and it works great.  It's also heavy enough not to tip over or pull off my counter as I pull the binding off.

I am kind of know in my area for how I wind my binding...I wrap around my thumb and finger in such a way that when I am done it looks like a figure 8.

Then I pin the end. Pull the middle of the figure 8 and my binding comes out straight with no twists. I can lay it in my lap when I am attaching binding and it is

handy sorry it is to hard to explain on the forum ...but if you want to come visit me in Alberta I would love to teach you how.  

I know what you mean, and you did a great job describing how to do it.             I have done something similar

and find the bottom falling out when I pick it up.. maybe I could use it from the bottom!

I was given a lot of the hard and thick paper tubes and small rolls and I use them.. only problem is I forgot

I had the binding and made others.. didn't look on that shelf.

LOL

After piecing it, I only handle my binding once before it goes on the quilt.  As I iron it, it drapes down to the floor in a basket.  This makes it loosely folded...then basket goes under my sewing machine and I simply pick up the end and feed it back up onto my quilt as I apply it.     

post-62883-0-31431100-1415902627_thumb.jpg

I do the same as Ann...

Only instead of a basket, I use a silk folding wastebin my niece brought me from her world travels.

I was so happy when I thought of this use for it.

Until then, it just sat in the corner collecting dust cause I couldn't bring myself to use it for trash.

If I bought this gadget, what would I do with my silk bin?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived