Cute bed quilt--new circle motif

Here's a bed quilt for a teenager.

Conversation with the piecer, her aunt--

Me--the big light areas are perfect for some quilting that shows a bit. Do you have an idea of what you'd like stitched there? Umm--not really.

Is your niece feminine? Umm-- not really.

Would you like a feathered wreath there? Umm--not really.

How about something geometric like a spiral or concentric circles? Umm--no.

I can stitch crosshatched lines through there or put a modern flower shape and fill in the background? Umm--

How about I think about it a bit and stitch something not-to-feminine but graceful that fills the space? Umm--OK I guess.

(Hey lady, I'm floundering here! Just give me a clue or I'm gonna stitch whatever I want.) Thought it but didn't say it!   :D

Long story not so short---here's the finished product. I call it "transitional" since the pattern is old, the fabrics are a mix of calicos and modern geometrics, and the stitching is mostly traditional. The white (really, white with silver dots) was stitched with a made-up sorta flower/not really a flower/ almost a Dresden plate looking kinda thingie. That's what I'll call it! Feathers in the red border, baptist fans in the blue border, CCs and thingie on the rest. Large LLBean flannel sheet for the backer (it was yummy to quilt on) and Mountain Mist batting--also a good choice for weight and definition.

Flickr pics--arrow right for details.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/15588503619/

And if you got this far--look for the piecing error. Unfixable when I got to it. I had to decide whether to follow the quilting blueprint or the fabric plan. I stuck with the same quilting as the rest. Squinting will help you find it faster.

As always, thanks for listening and looking!

Thanks everyone! While it looks like the center thingie was stitched like feathers, I marked and stitched a circle and then the spokes, out and back to the center. As I reached the last spoke, I stitched out to the edge and then made the V's between the spokes all around, ending at the last spoke and back to the center. It was much faster and more forgiving that stitching like feathers where you'd stitch out, V, back, repeat. Just thought I'd share. :)

I'll let it go, Meg. I found it too late to fix. I wouldn't always do that, but she is obviously disconnected from this one, as you can tell from our conversation in the first post. It's a gift for a niece and will be gone in a week or two. So I figure no worries! (wish me luck!)  :P

Archived