WD40 treatment

Well, I finally did it.  I "washed" my hook after 4 years service and over 200 quilts.  I was surprised at how little lint/dust came out.  I've been reluctant to do it, fearing that the WD40 residue would collect cotton dust.  We'll see if my fears were justified.  At any rate I'm set for another 4 years LOL.  Jim

I do mine a little more often than that...........I did do it a couple weeks ago after I finished quilting 5 fleece backed quilts for the grandkids for Christmas.  That fleece really leaves a lot of lint.  Gave my machine an thorough WD40 cleaning, new needle, oiled............she is ready to quilt the winter away now.    Also ordered another bobbin case,  some new pigtail thread carriers and more needles from the APQS online store.   I love that they have that now.  So much easier than trying to call them or send e-mail to order something.   They came quickly too.   

If any new APQS owners read this, please know that the recommendation from APQS is to use WD40 on your hook on a regular basis: as per the cleaning instructions in the manual, "between each quilting project." (See excerpt from manual below)  If properly used, WD40 does not build up in your hook - the excess is spun out and then wiped out, before re-oiling the hook.  This is an important step in maintaining your hook assembly, especially if you use cotton threads or linty batting or backing - all those fibers can wind up lodging in your hook assembly, where you can't see them.  WD40, as a solvent, helps to loosen those fibers so that they can be removed from the assembly.

I'm not arguing with what the users above are doing - if it works for them, Amen!  But it is important for new owners to know that there is a recommended cleaning process for our machines.

Cleaning & Oiling the Hook and Wicks.pdf

Whew!  Barb I'm thankful for your post.  For a minute there I thought I was doing something wrong.  I clean my hook assembly every night when I shut the machine down and always clean it out with WD40, then oil before it goes to bed for the night.  I know what others are saying about fearing buildup.  I had the same initial reaction, but so far I've never had any problems with buildup.  :)

And if you're ever faced with thread breakage that you just can't solve, one step to try is to soak your hook assembly overnight in a good dousing of WD40, then go back the next morning and do a thorough cleaning with more WD40 and then re-oil.  There just might be a thread tail or other "stuff" catching your threads.

Sorry Barb

You are absolutely right to call us out on this.  I know I did not intend to intentionally steer anybody away from the approved service.  I was just trying to let Jim know there was an alternative to the WD40.  I probably should have PM'd him.  Also my experience with good quality thread was smilar to his and I have devolped my own service interval.  If I ever get stitch quality issues I know to wash my hook first before asking for help. 

As the new car ads say "your mileage may vary"

Nigel

Like I said, what works for you guys, keep on doing!  No worries there.  But there are so many misconceptions about cleaning our machines that I wanted to make sure our newbies that come to these forums know the recommended procedure.

Just last week, someone told me about using a rubbing alcohol "bath" on their hook: remove the throat plate and put a container under the hook area, then pour rubbing alcohol through the hook.  The machine this procedure had been used on had some serious paint-peeling issues. Hmmmmmm.....  I think I'll keep to my WD40 and oil process, it works for me!

I've heard about DW-40 here before and think (as I'm remembering again!), what an awesome idea!! I'm going to have to try that. I like to oil the dickens out of my hook after every quilt and use my air compressor while hitting the single stitch button. I've noticed certain threads create lint that sticks to the hook  and bobbin case -- like Omni. And Isacord, hardly at all. And certain battings are AWEFULLY messy. I have a lawn blower that I use to blow the garage out after each quilting session and you wouldn't believe the amount of batting debris that shoots out the garage door. I'm going to have to try the DW-40 trick to clean the hook race every so often. Thanks for sharing, APQS!!

The first time I used the WD40 method to clean my machine, I was scared to death !    I got out my DVD that came with my machine and following the instructions to the letter.  I was amazed at the amount of gunk that came out.  Whew............no big deal now to do it.

Archived