Grinding noise & stuck needle

I have a 2012 APQS Millennium.  I was working on a quilt yesterday afternoon & came across a thick seam & my needle broke.  I replaced the needle (getting all the parts of the broken one), pounded the seam down & went again.  Then the machine made a screeching sound & became stuck.  Turns out the new needle broke & came out.  Now the needle bar won't even go up & down.  Turned the machine off & on again.  Turned on with a screeching sound that wouldn't stop.  I uncapped the flywheel & manually turned it.  Took out the bobbin case & all the needle parts & tried to make the needle bar go up & down w/out a needle.  It won't move on it's own (just makes a screeching sound) until I help it along with the fly wheel.  Now a high pitched grinding noise is also coming from the machine- does anyone have any suggestions on how to begin to fix this?

Thanks!

Robin, it sounds like maybe you have issues with your hook assembly or in your gear box.  Don't do anything else with your machine until you have called APQS Service on the toll-free line.  Both those issues are fixable, but you need to talk to them to properly diagnose what's happening.  Before you call, shoot a high-priority email to service@apqs.com, documenting just what you have experienced.  Then call them - before closing time in Iowa!

I recently broke a needle and the noise coming from my machine was horrible.  The hook finger bent and there was a needle part jamming the needle case.  My husband actually heated the needle hook, straightened it  and put it back in.  We had to re-time the machine but it is working just fine now.  I probably wouldn't suggest heating a machine part, but that's my husband.  I am still thinking of replacing the part just in case it has been weakened. 

I recently broke a needle and the noise coming from my machine was horrible.  The hook finger bent and there was a needle part jamming the needle case.  My husband actually heated the needle hook, straightened it  and put it back in.  We had to re-time the machine but it is working just fine now.  I probably wouldn't suggest heating a machine part, but that's my husband.  I am still thinking of replacing the part just in case it has been weakened. 

Yes!  This was it!  I went ahead & ordered the part- now to fix the machine & get back to work!

Archived