Pokies with wool batting after washing?

Has anyone has problems with wool batting "pokies" appearing on a quilt after multiple washings?  One of my customers heard after several washings wool batting will come thru where the quilting was stitched.  She didn't say if this was specific to any particular brand of wool batting, or any other specifics about type of thread, fabric, washing conditions.

I've been singing the praises of wool batting but honestly have not experienced multiple washings.  I've had some cotton battings that poked thru as I was quilting, leaving little white balls here and there, but she said this wasn't while quilting, it was the washing that caused it.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I would discount anything your customer "heard" since if this was a regular problem it would be all over every quilting blog, website, and quilter's Facebook. The quilting world is huge, but the communication is instant and widespread because of the internet.

I have several small pieces with wool batting, but they are seldom washed and done carefully when they are.

I've never heard of it nor have I had any customer issues with wool batting. As far as the wool coming through the stitching holes after washing, I imagine that I'd be more concerned about felting rather than bearding when a quilt with wool gets frequent washing.

Just my two cents and worth about that much!  ;)

I have a customer who experienced an extreme case of bearding with a wool batting. That being said if was DEFINITELY user error. The batting is thermal bonded. The quilt was washed several times in HOT water and dried on COTTON in the dryer. This caused the thermal bonding to no longer hold the fibers together. The back was batik and the fibers migrated through the back everywhere. We ended up unquilting the entire quilt and requilting with a cotton batting. Since this incident I make sure to discuss the properties of thermal bonding with my customers. I luv wool batting and use it in my own quilts. As stated earlier if this was a universal problem the industry would be all over it. Use it with confidence if treated properly.

Linda

I tested wool batting by washing and drying a small table topper in very hot water and hot dryer setting. I had no issues with bearding and only minor shrinkage. I use it as a sample to show customers the result after a harsh laundry treatment. 

Leslie

• 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I have a customer who experienced an extreme case of bearding with a wool batting. That being said if was DEFINITELY user error. The batting is thermal bonded. The quilt was washed several times in HOT water and dried on COTTON in the dryer. This caused the thermal bonding to no longer hold the fibers together. The back was batik and the fibers migrated through the back everywhere. We ended up unquilting the entire quilt and requilting with a cotton batting. Since this incident I make sure to discuss the properties of thermal bonding with my customers. I luv wool batting and use it in my own quilts. As stated earlier if this was a universal problem the industry would be all over it. Use it with confidence if treated properly.

Linda, thank you for sharing your story. The fact is that people usually don't know how to wash the material correctly and wash everything the same way. And then these people tend to blame their vacuum cleaner that is not working very well. But sometimes the problem is really in the bad vacuum cleaner. Fortunately, I have one a Shark Duoclean lift away cleaner which is very functional and comfortable in exploitation. You can read a detailed review about it on https://petsmatters.net/shark-duoclean-lift-away-review/ that discusses the advantages of this model and many other aspects.