Getting started with Circle Lord - what to buy?

I am seriously considering taking the plunge and getting started with the Circle Lord system.  For those of you who use it, what are your recommendations for the first things I should purchase?

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I am not in business, and quilt mostly for myself and charity quilts (school raffle quilts, Quilts For Kids, etc.). 

Looking forward to learning your favorites!

Ditto on the Swirls and Baptist Fans boards. Like Linda says, check out the Fan/Clam instead of just the Baptist Fan. I just bought the Circle Thingy -- haven't used it yet but I know I will use it a lot for circles. I don't have the Ribbons, but it sounds like fun. The Zigzag is neat, too.

Which machine do you have? I recently added a computer to my machine so I am selling my circle lord, boards and R&S boards. My post is down a few clicks on the forum. These really helped me do precision work while I was improving my freehand skills.

Julie, I actually saw your post and was sorely tempted.  The timing seemed like it might be a sign!  I have a Freedom, so your stuff should work for me.  However, since I know very little about using boards, other than that a lot of people love them, I thought that might be an awful lot for someone just getting started.

Wow, what great information you are all offering me!  I will definitely check out the boards you have recommended.

I have noticed that many people, like Julie, have both Circle Lord and R&S boards.  Is this because of different patterns being available from each company?  Are the two systems interchangeable?  Pros and cons of each?

Lots of people have both because the R&S boards are much less expensive and work just as well. You may need a different stylus but those are not expensive.

Betsy, I have received a message from someone who is interested in taking all of the boards but I will bring this back to the top of that doesn't work out.

I started out with the meander board and even 5 yrs later still use it because its fast and easy. I use the swirls, cosmos another easy one is the loopys. Give Kay and Michael a call there may be a special going on for brand new beginners and also Michael from Loricles offers you an easy payment plan.

Archived