Move power advance motor to left side?

If you flip the roller, the motor switches will be facing the back side, but do you ever use the manual switches? I can't remember ever using them to advance the rollers. So as long as you can still reach the foot pedal and you have an outlet on that side, it should work fine. You'll just need to retrain yourself that "forward" side of the pedal is now "reverse" and "reverse" is now "forward".  And if it doesn't work you can change it back. ;)

I am not at all sure that you can just turn the motor around.  The bracket that holds the motor mounts to a particular spot on the frame, and the shaft of the motor must line up with the take-up roller.  If I had my machine set back up, I'd go look, but I don't.  Maybe someone else with mechanical skills can go look at their own setup and tell us what's what???

Hmmm I agree with Linda I think you could put it on the other side but everything would have to be marked so you do not mistake which direction you are going. The only time I used the controls on the power advance I went the wrong way and put a hole in the quilt top... :wacko: ... now I use the foot pedal all the time. :wacko:

As for the leaders I just changed mine a while ago not that hard a job but if you do not want to do that I think you could fold it back on itself and add more tape so it is facing the right way.

hope you figure out your studio lay-out as I always say if it works for you then it does't mater what everybody else does Do what works for you :rolleyes:

Terri, I'm thinking you're just going to have to bite the bullet and leave the motor where it is.  You CAN put your table on furniture sliders - that ay you can move it back and forth as necessary, if the motor somehow gets in your way.  Not a perfect solution , maybe not even a good one, but it's something.....  Good luck!

Thanks for all the response to my question. I really wanted the right side of the machine against the wall to gain that 6 inches in a walkway on the left side. But looks like I will have to live with it. Will ponder some more though!,

Have a blessed thanksgiving to all!!

Terri

When we set up my first milli, my husband thought the motor advance went on the other side.  Needless to say, we spent several hours trying to make it fit before we called it impossible to work.  Called the office the next morning and set a picture.  They had us put it on the other end of the table and within a few minutes it was on.  So, I don't think it would fit on the table without some changes made.  That was in 2007 so things could have changed since then.

The actual poles on the motor end have a flat spot for the fabric advance to clamp too,  they are also longer than the  other end of the poles that go into the eye bolts.

If you flipped the quilt top roller (the 2nd one from the front) over then it would feed the quilt the correct direction, so it could be used as your back/pick up roller.

My frame has the same bracket at both ends that the fabric advance attaches to, so could possibly put it on the opposite end.

But look closely at the hand wheels on the motor end - they stick out an inch past the frame so really the motor is only taking up and extra 5 1/2" past them anyway.  So is it really worth the trouble :)

Archived