Quilt Origin

CHQ

Look locally for a quilt appraiser who can help you.

Is the backer made of several pieces? It looks like a feed or flour sack but normally the maker would boil the fabric to remove the printing before using it. The print and colors on the fabrics don't look like feedsacks, which were usually used to make dress, aprons, etc and more feminine.

Several of the fabrics, especially the blacks with the squiggles and the reddish ones, look more like a Civil War fabric and that copper-y brown is not a color I've seen used in feedsacks. All the fabrics may have been yardage for shirts or dresses. The frugality shown by piecing several of the logs with different fabrics does hint toward a utility quilt and it could be older than you think. I'd be intrigued by this one--dating it would be a first step and then you can build lots of scenarios about servants, sharecroppers, or people struggling through the Depression. While this is beautiful, it's not a parlor quilt to show of the owner's skills. It's for keeping warm and it's really a lovely thing.

Maybe you can find someone on-line who would give you an opinion from the photos. Most experts want to see and feel the quilt before offering an opinion, but it can't hurt to try.

• 3 weeks later...

I took this in to my local quilt shop and the owner believes it is definitely Civil War era.  Upon closer examination we found some of the fabric is silk maybe from a dress or suit.  I haven't had a chance to contact our local appraiser yet, but will post when I have her look at it.  There is quite a bit of wear and tear, but the quilt spoke to me when I saw it hanging on the wall and being new to quilting had no idea that it may be that old. 

Dell - I'll definitely bring to our next meeting because I probably won't get to the appraiser before then.

Archived