APQS Certified Machine - How old is too old?

My opinion is it will be atleast as good as it was new.  APQS does a thorough inspection and replaces all parts showing any signs of wear and then they warranty for one year.  The new tables are far superior to the wood or square tube ones.  I think a ten year old machine will stitch the same as a new one so buy the least expensive certified machine they have.

Nigel

Pamela, what Nigel said is true:  It will stitch as good as new, and it will carry a one-year warranty by APQS, although the newer Certified Used Machines are carrying a three-year warranty now.  You need to decide what features you want to have in a "new" Used Machine (i.e. stitch regulator, LED lights, Quilt Glide, etc.), then make your choice accordingly, since those features differ from generation to generation and model to model.

I bought a Green Millennium from APQS in 2006. Never had a moment's problem with it.  I upgraded to Bliss table in 2010.  My hubby and I took it apart and moved it 1,400 miles in 2012 and then we set it back up.  It had it's very first service in 2013, only because it was convenient and Dave Jones was coming through my town.  Wasn't anything for him to do, he said it was in great shape!   :D    

Hi Debbie,

Just clarifying the gearbox...technically no APQS machines need gearbox grease to operate. However, we continue to put a special synthetic grease inside each gearbox to basically help muffle the natural sound gears make when they turn. The grease is there solely to help keep the machine quiet. So, repacking is technically "never" necessary, but is sometimes recommended if the machine gets loud. :)

I love my reconditioned Lucey!  Since I quilt only for myself, buying reconditioned put the Lucey in my price range.  And with the savings from buying at a road show, I added Bliss.  My understanding is that nearly all of the computer boards are replaced in reconditioning.  Since mine was a relatively rescent model, however, I can't speak to how old you can go.   Cynthia

Hi Debbie,

Just clarifying the gearbox...technically no APQS machines need gearbox grease to operate. However, we continue to put a special synthetic grease inside each gearbox to basically help muffle the natural sound gears make when they turn. The grease is there solely to help keep the machine quiet. So, repacking is technically "never" necessary, but is sometimes recommended if the machine gets loud. :)

Dawn,

I'm sorry I put that misinformation out there.  It seemed my machine went through a noisy phase after having it for a year, and I had spoken with Amy, thinking I needed to repack the gearbox.  She had told me I didn't need to because they didn't use grease anymore.  I guess I misunderstood that it was a synthetic type instead, used to muffle the sound.Thanks for correcting my thoughts on this.

Archived