Quilting on Poly Satin for a banner

I have a church banner to make out of 100% polyester satin (washable) that's about 33" square.  My customer wants this fabric on the front and back, has 100% Hobbs wool for the batting.  Glide thread top and bottom.  It's a banner to be used for baptisms so won't be hung for long periods of time.

The quilting will be simple, radiating out from a center point in a pinwheel fashion.  I think I can quilt it OK without marking, but if not I thought I'd hand-baste a few registration "marks" with a colored thread that can easily be removed after quilting.  Maybe.  Still pondering this idea.  Might end up using tracing paper or Solvy.

I've been playing around with scraps of this fabric and have come across a few questions:

1) The top fabric is slipping as I quilt, causing ripples, so I'm playing with Sulky temporary spray adhesive to hold the sandwich together.  I've used this before but not on a large area.  Has anyone experienced any negative long-term effects from using adhesives like this?  Any other suggestions to alleviate slipping?

2)  Since it's not a large quilt and will only be hung on special occasions will the wool batting be enough to stabilize or should I suggest a cotton/poly blend as the bottom batting layer with the wool on top?

3)  Any other thoughts, concerns, advice, other than RUN!!!?? 

I wasn't going to take this on but was up for the challenge since it actually quite small and simple.  However, some of those simple projects can turn into nightmares if not careful.

Thanks for all advice offered!

I would apply fusible interfacing to the back of the quilt top. Something very lightweight. That will control some of the shifting of the satin as you quilt. I would use a flat batting if it is to be hung. I would likely not use the wool at all. I also would choose a poly batting if it is to be washed, because I wouldn't care for the puckered look cotton is going to produce after washing. Just my 2 cents.

I would be cautious about using a fusible on the back of satin, when I have used it the fabric became puckered.  My choice would be using the 505 basting spray.

an idea might be to spray 505 to organza to hold it in place, then quilt it.  I haven't quilted with a frame machine, but did make a daughter's wedding dress from satin with organza as an underlining, treating each garment piece as a two layer piece.  I stitched the satin to the organza in the seam allowances and treated as one piece from then on.  The dress really didn't need any pressing after washing (both times) I washed it after the wedding and entered it in the county fair where a kid walked across the train with a dusty shoe print.  Washed it again and had the bride wear it for a reception just out of the dryer with no touch ups.  It was great.  That might work for this too.

Lynn, good advise on the poly batting.  This wool is a bit lofty and increasing the chances of puckering.  I'll play around with a very light fusible interfacing and see if I get any puckering.

Madelyn, I'd love to see the dress you made, sounds beautiful!  I've heard of the "505" spray but haven't tried it.  I'll have to give that a try with the organza, that might just keep everything from slipping.

Another idea was to not float the top (which I always do).  That may keep it in place too.

Thanks for your suggestions ladies!  I've loaded a different quilt now so I can keep playing with ideas on this banner.  Glad I have ample fabric and she's in no hurry!

Here is a picture of the dress lined with organza.  I only have the back view right now.  It was a very plain design but I embroidered 28 motifs around the hem.

The second picture is the last daughter's dress using the same style satin with no organza lining, the organza was used for the spill of ruffles on the side.  Both dresses washed wonderfully well,  and I didn't do a lot of pressing on the second one even after taking to NH from MN for a second reception.

I can't get the picture small enough right now, sorry.

What a good lookin' family you have!!  The dresses are beautiful.  What a lot of work, but a treasure for your daughters.  The organza ruffles must have been time consuming but are beautiful.  I admire your work. When I did custom sewing I made some bridesmaid dresses and a couple of simple wedding dresses, but nothing of this detail.  

Thank you for taking the time to post these!

Archived