Fans Meet Feathers, Amish Revisited

This quilt top was given to me to practice my longarming, saved from a rummage sale in Pennsylvania and I was told it was made by someone Amish.  It is 101" x 111".  That being said, I did not like this quilt mainly because of the colors and felt there was not enough contrast, and I then added appliquéd flowers and lace.  Now I think I actually like the way it looks and wonder if anyone has ideas as to quilting it.  I have formulated some ideas already and thought maybe other input may lead me elsewhere. Feathered fans are my thoughts, but that 11" pink border needs some interest.  Thoughts anyone?

post-13030-0-28046900-1418054978_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-57512700-1418054995_thumb.jpg

You did a wonderful job adding applique and lace to this one! It looks so much more interesting and will be lovely when it's finished.

My thoughts about that wide outer border would depend on how traditional the quilting will be in the center. If you're putting feathers inside the body, traditional curling feathers would add weight and interest to the border.

A traditional Amish design is a wide cable with feathers on one side weaving under plain lines. This would probably need a stencil and careful placing so you can turn the corners.

If it's to be used on a bed, the interest will be on the top area, so swags along the border will be simpler and still look great viewed on the bed.

A more intricate design would be something along the border that mimics your pretty applique, outlined, and then echoed or crosshatched behind.

Have fun and pictures please when it's finished. It gets better with each step you take so I know it's going to be gorgeous!

Here's a stencil. It's available on many sites.

http://www.stuff4crafts.com/5-cable-feather-border-10-x20-quilt-stencils-by-pepper-cory-pc-1819.html?currency=USD&CAWELAID=120018150000139615&gclid=CObuoM71tsICFYyTfgodoyQAZA

Quilter's Rule has a template called a Cable Tool where you can stitch the cable curves. The instructions show how to stitch intertwining cables and also how to stitch one side plain and the other with feathers.

Thank you, Linda!  I purchased a pantograph a while back that has a similar design and had not used it yet. It could be the answer. I rarely use pantos, but this one looked pretty and thought some customer down the pike might like the traditional appeal of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally finished the quilting.........jury duty all week..on to the binding!  :P After a week of jury duty I came home at night to find myself wanting to stand up and no more sitting!!! So, I quilted! I used Quilter's Dream 100% washable wool batting, and So Fine 60 weight polyester matching thread on the top with Bottom Line ecru thread in the bobbin. I have now trimmed it up to be ready to be bound. I had thought I was going to use bias strips from the backing but feel now it would be too distracting from the border. I am going to try to find a close match for the pink background to use for binding.

I could call this "Transformation" and leave it at that!

I'll be happy to be done with this big project.post-13030-0-44947400-1422734397_thumb.jpgpost-13030-0-79883400-1422734445_thumb.jpgpost-13030-0-27851000-1422734496_thumb.jpgpost-13030-0-51838700-1422734601_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-42570300-1422734544_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-42418600-1422763103_thumb.jpg

Some of you are just unbelievable.  I don't know whether to be inspired or to give up and take up another hobby.

That quilt is beautiful.  How you came up with all of those designs is beyond me.  I guess I just have no imagination.

David

You did a wonderful job, Leann! It couldn't be better!

It reminds me of a beautifully frosted pink cake. I'd call it Pink Champagne Cake if it was mine.  :D

Thank you, Linda.  I just may have a glass or two when it is done....  :blush:  

It reminds me of a beautifully frosted pink cake. I'd call it Pink Champagne Cake if it was mine.  :D

I just may have a glass or two when it is done....  :blush:  

Archived