Fabric Swap after the first of the year (update guidelines)

Oma

Oma, you might assemble 10 FQs and see which flat rate box they fit in. Or try Tyvek or padded envelopes of a correct size since those squishies mail well. If you go with envelopes please include the cost when you let us know the amount you'll need for sending them back, so you don't have any out-of-pocket to cover. And maybe to keep things simpler, if someone sends two batches, you can send two envelopes or boxes back, just so you aren't messing with different sizes. Just a thought from somebody who's done this before and swore never again! But I think I'll do one in the summer... :D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember now, I've done one of these before years ago.  We put all the fabric in a padded envelop and included another envelop with the postage already on it  so whoever was separating the fabric and mailing only had to put them in the envelop, seal it and mail it off.  You can determine postage by how much it costs to send the fabric - just put that much and maybe a little more in case other fabrics weight a little more.  

This makes it much easier for the person accepting all of these fabrics.   Just a thought.

YES Mercedes!  That's what we did!  I'm trying to see if I can get 20 fat quarters in a small flat rate box for Terry because it's going to Canada and it ends up being $20 or so for postage.  I've been playing with some flat quarters and I think if I iron them flat and play with them I can do it.  I'm pretty sure 10 fat quarters fit in it well.  I'm not willing to iron and manipulate all the fabrics just the ones that need to go to Canada.  AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT...lol!  I'll look at it as soon as I catch my breath. 

I've had contractors in for a week to fix my house from the water damage before Thanksgiving and they may finish up on Friday.  Woohoo!  I spent two weeks trying to get them out here to give me estimates that I could send to the insurance.  That was a nightmare.  Finally got a couple and insurance accepted one of them so we started.  Got a great contractor that I like a lot.  Yay!  Plumber didn't show up this morning and when I called he said he forgot about me.  Made me feel so special.  Anyway, he's suppose to be here in an hour or so or tomorrow.  I told him no...if he didn't show up today then tomorrow I would have a new plumber.  I'm getting testy I guess. 

I'm late with my Christmas cards because my granddaughter wanted to write in them too.  I told her I wanted to get them in the mail on Friday...didn't happen so I told her she had the weekend and they were going in the mail on Monday...didn't happen so today I intend to sign them and just add her name and they will be mailed in the morning.  She is in the middle of finals so I understand, but I'm not in the middle of finals and my cards are going out tomorrow.  I'm wrapping gifts that she wanted to wrap, but again I've been waiting days so today I will do it and be done with it.  And for God's sakes...I HAVE TO GET THAT FROZEN QUILT DONE!!!!!  lol. 

Hey!  Plumber just showed up.  Christ he looks about 12 years old...that's scary.  Gotta run.

I counted, we have 20 oriental fat quarter swappers

(Corey, Bonnie H & Oma will do double) &

LaJuana will be 20th

The swappers are:

Oma 2

Corey 2

Bonnie H. 2

Pat Schafer

Linda R.

Mercedes

Jean PEDERSEN

SueSKG55

Cherylannie

JeannieB

Delores62305

Judith Washburn

Quilt Guy

TRowStuduo Terry in Canada

Vickie Oliver Beachside quilter

Meg

LaJuana (Corey's friend)

Once you get enough interest to fill three swap groups you might want to close it. If it grows too big you'll be buried by an avalanche of envelopes and the swapping becomes cumbersome! The swap I hosted had 36 swappers and covered my dining room table, living room floor and couch--but it was so fun! It took two days because I was waiting for a delayed package and finally swapped without it. There was gorgeous fabric everywhere!

If you close it you can start a "wait list" so any drop-outs can be replaced.

There's obvious interest so maybe somebody will want to host another swap using a different theme and/or different cuts.

will you email us the address of where to send our FQ fabric.... if we buy yardage... are we to make sure it is cut into FQ... and so I am correct.... We are to purchase THE SAME fabric for 10 FQ is this correct..?????  Can we send them anytime to you... but before February???

Thanks

Sue

Sue, yes I will give everyone my address.  You are to buy enough yardage of one fabric to cut it into 10 FQ.  You can send them any time.  I said I'd have to have them by mid Feb. so I'll just firm that up by saying Feb. 15th.  This swap is so much easier and faster than having to make 30 blocks of something.   

Linda had a good suggestion of closing the swap at 30 people and then have a wait list in case anyone needs to drop out.  That works for me.  I think between Corey and I we could fill in any gaps...lol.  I'm looking forward to this.  Here's my address. 

Oma Naranjo

PO Box 852

Chowchilla, CA  93610

One thing I have not seen is that the fabrics should be shipped in a ziploc to protect from weather if the package gets wet. 

When we did the block swap a few years ago, we had to send a tyvek self addressed envelope to prevent the orginizer from having to address all those returns.  I plan to send mine in a ziploc with my name on it and the number of FQ shipped, with a self address stamped tyvek  so the originzer wil know what to ship back to me and not have to address or stamp anything.  FYI the tyvek is more flexible and you can really stuff a lot into it. 

Oma,

If this suggestion is not good for you and Corey, please give specifics so everyone is doing the same thing to help make your life easier when the time comes.Thank you both fo doing this, it is a lot of work.

Hope your house is done for Christmas!! 

• 3 weeks later...

We have enough for three groups.  Be sure to check your name or if I've missed you let me know.  I added the guidelines back in the very first post to make it easier.

If there is someone who wants desperately to join I can drop me off one of the groups and put you in.  I deliberately put me in three groups for that reason.  I can do all three with no problem so we are full, but I can also give up that spot for someone.

Guidelines are easy:  10 FQ of Asian/Oriental theme fabric.  FQ are 18" by 22".  Send to me by Feb. 15th and I will mail out by March 1.  Include return postage by cash, check or prepaid envelope.  My address is in first post.

Group One:

Oma

Corey

Sue

Cherylannie

Linda R

Jeannie B

Delores

Bonnie

Judith

Dave

Group Two:

Linda R

Oma

Mercedes

Terry

Vickie

Meg

Jean

LaJuana

Barbara

Carolyn

Group Three:

Corey

Terry

Chris

Bonnie

Carolyn

Linda B

Barbara C

Bekah

Jeannie B

Pat

I'm confused about the guidelines, mailing, etc. on this exchange.  There's so much in this thread that it's hard to know what's what   Is there any chance we could post something separately with guidelines, mailing address, etc?

some of the questions I have are - do you mail only enough fabric for the number of people in your group?   Where do you mail and do you add a postage paid mailback envelop for the person separating and mailing out all these once received.   What is considered Asian fabric - seems simple but this could mean different things to different people.   I want to purchase my fabric however I'm not sure how much to purchase and exactly what kind.  I don't purchase off the internet so for me, it's going to be a hunt at the fabric stores.

OK...I think we are full now.  We have three groups of 10.  Please look at previous post of groups and see if I got your name on there and in the amount of groups you wanted to be in.  Terry in Canada...I have you in two groups because I'm going to make it work postage-wise for you.  I put all the information I think we need in the very first post when I updated.  I have to talk to Corey...:).

Archived