Need advice on washing red/black quilt

Sometime ago Linda Stellar (I think) posted about setting color on a quilt.  I am usually a fabric washer - but this time I used 2-1/2" strips for the black and gray parts of this quilt and did not wash.  So I did not wash the assorted reds either.  When I finish this quilt, I would like  to wash it and set the colors if possible before I send it to my grandson.  I will attach a package of color catchers - but believe Linda Stellar used another product to set colors. 

Can anyone give me some help.  The older I get, the less I can remember - but know I read the solution to this on this site.

Thanks,

Marilyn

I've used Retayne before also however it may not set the red colors and i've had the fabric run even after soaking it int a Retayne solution for hours then washing.   I don't buy red fabric anymore because I've not found anything that will stop it from running.  I have even washed quilts in cold water after using it and had them run.  This is with good fabric from an actual quilt store.

I'm interested if anyone has found anything that actually works also.

Try a two-step process.

Wash the quilt by hand or gently in the machine and use Synthrapol. Follow the instructions on the bottle, which uses very little product. Synthrapol pulls out excess dye from the fabric. Rinse well and repeat until the rinse water is clear. Then treat with Retayne. This product sets whatever dye is left. Both products are readily available at quilt shops and on-line. Used for years by hand-dyers.

I was handed an un-washed green batik wide back which my customer asked if I'd dampen or iron to get out the wrinkles before loading. I tossed it into a tub to dampen and the water instantly turned a dark and swampy-green. It was ugly. I used Synthrapol and treated it twice. The last rinse was clear. Then a swish though a Retayne solution and it dried and ironed well. 

Oma, 

I use Shout color catchers on a regular basis - but thought I needed to permanently set both the black and the red.  Have had black seemingly change color (or at least have a purplish or bluish cast after several washings).    Was hoping to avoid this.  Now, if I can remember, I will post about my success in doing  this.   . 

Marilyn

My quilt group uses the Color Catchers to wash most of our charity quilts and a lot of those are done with the lesser quality fabric.   I've used 3 or 4 color catcher sheets and have had good luck......A friend washed a burgandy/white quilt and used 1 color catcher............the burgandy bled into the white............she washed again using more color catcher sheets and all the bleeding came out and the quilt was fine.  For myself, I try to wash the blacks or reds before putting into a quilt , but in our group, we use so many small pieces that washing before is not practical.

Archived