Superior Rainbow Thread and needle size, tension

I'm running Superior Rainbow Thread in both the top and bobbin thread.  Having some issues with tension and was wondering if I need to use a smaller needle size.  I'm running 4.0 on my Millie.  I've never used Rainbow thread before so am a little puzzled by the problems.  Some of the issues I'm having are loopies on the bottom, punching of the needle thru fabric and tight tension on the bobbin thread.

It has a bran new needle, checked the top thread path, rethreaded and cleaned the path, checked and re-cleaned the bobbin area, put a net over the thread, have a small piece of batting in the thread guide above the top thread, tried adjusting top tension several times.

Thanks

I am a newbie....I tried rainbows several years ago as I had picked up a couple of cones at a quilt show...very pretty....I could not get it work without breaking and having problems with it...I  still have...take it out and pet it now and then and say to it...you are so pretty....but I think you are just a wall flower...put them back in the box...maybe some day...I will get really, really brave and try them on Lucey...I haven't tried them on her yet....Lin

I love Rainbows and use it in my George both top and bottom. I have a bobbin case set up just for it with loosened tension. Top tension needs to be fairly loose also because Rainbows isn't very strong and breaks easily.

Fantastico from Superior is viewed as the Rainbows replacement and it is much stronger. I now use Fantastico except for the colors that are only available in Rainbows.

I've used Rainbow with success using a Super Bob bobbin and loosing the top tension. I actually found the tension information on this site - query the forum for Rainbow thread. This was 5 years ago when I was a newbie; so it is quite an old post. Also, Superior has tension recommendations on all their threads on their website. Check it out, too. Hope you can make beautiful stitches with beautiful thread.

I got it to work.  I set everything on my machine back to "the normal" - bobbin case, top thread tension, everything.  Then I put the thread through the guide with the three holes - only I went through the first and last hole only, leaving the middle hole empty. Did a test run straight stitching and it stitched fine, second test was some feathers - again, it did just fine.   I don't exactly know why this worked but it did.  I'm running Rainbow in both top and bottom successfully - I just hope it continues throughout the quilt.  I probably won't buy this thread again as it seems fussy.  This is the only spool I have so once I get this quilt done, no more.  The recommendation on threading the guide in this easy was in one of the forums old  topics once I did the query.

Thanks!

I use Rainbows a lot.

It's my go to variegated thread...its especially Yummo on batiks.

I start with a new needle at 6:35.

I slather the top of the cone with mineral oil.

I run it with magna glides...150-160 on the TOWA.

Then, I loosen the top tension til I get a messy stitch.

Then, 1/4 turn of the top tension at a time, I find the sweet spot.

Also, you CAN NOT go fast with this thread.

You must slow down.

It's trouble, but worth it.

Edit...I use a 4.0 needle.

Archived