One of my presents

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and are now in recovery mode!  ;)

Dennis gave me this book for Christmas. It's a fabulous design book and I highly recommend it. You can find a scanned version of it if you search on-line. 

Handbook of Ornament by Franz Sales Meyer

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Ornament-Dover-Pictorial-Archive/dp/0486203026

After reading your post, I purchased the book.  Wow - Inspiration!!!!  Can I ask what your process is to convert a design from a book like this to something you can quilt?  Some of the designs are very intricate and I am sure they would have to be simplified before it can be used on a quilt.  Thanks!

After reading your post, I purchased the book.  Wow - Inspiration!!!!  Can I ask what your process is to convert a design from a book like this to something you can quilt?  Some of the designs are very intricate and I am sure they would have to be simplified before it can be used on a quilt.  Thanks!

I was most taken with the section titled Division ll, Ornament Applied to Features (pages 125-295). It includes Bands, Repeating Designs. and Enclosed Designs. While it's mostly inspiration, I found lots of parts and pieces that are inspiring---and yes, most need to be simplified and made continuous.

If you look at page 258, circular panel #7 has an outer design that can be stitched fully continuously and would be gorgeous in the center of a medallion or whole-cloth quilt. ( I'm not afraid to highlight my design books with a marker or put actual bookmarks so I can find designs that appeal to me.) In the jewelry section, page 483, item #11 is a button with a pleasing design that could be continuous. Page 87, the dolphin at the bottom has a tail that would make a gorgeous running design in a border.

Dare I say, this is a great "bathroom book"?  :D

Let's see if I can post a link...

https://www.google.com/search?q=franz+sales+meyer+handbook+of+ornament&espv=2&biw=1924&bih=1107&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MaKlVJb3Mof3oASHgYLwBw&ved=0CEYQsAQ

I'm wondering how large the designs are in the book and is it like a small paperback book or larger?    Thanks!

I was given the paperback, which is 5" by 7 1/2". The designs are many on a page, but clearly printed and dark enough so they can be easily traced to scan larger for practice and revision.

Thanks Linda!  I will look those images up.  I agree with you that this book would be most suitable for "bathroom reading"!!!  My first impression of this book was "WOW" - it certainly is wonderful eye candy for quilters!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Archived