Vintage Orphan Blocks

I was looking back through my quilty photos of 2014 last night and thought I would share this quilt with you.  I was given these scraggly blocks by a family that had cleaned out their deceased grandmother's house.  None of the kids wanted any of her fabric so her niece offered it to me because she knew I made Quilts of Valor.  A grandaughter had graduated from nursing school and was getting married last summer.  I knew the family on both sides pretty well, so I decided to rummage through her late grandmother's blocks and fabric and made her a quilt.

I dug through 5 garbage bags of fabric and found 12 blocks that matched each other and 8 more that sort of matched each other.  However 4 of those 8 blocks were 1/2 inch smaller than the other 4.

I put this chaos on my design wall (I don't do scrappy very well) for a couple of weeks and looked at is as I was working on other quilts.  I had also found some 36 inch wide solid teal and about 8 yards of newer watermelon polyester.  (Hey, the quilt police have no idea where I live)  I decided to use it for the back since grandma bought it with something in mind.  Here's what I came up with...I think it turned out pretty awesome for what i had to work with.

I also wrote the bride and groom a letter explaining all about the blocks, the fabrics, etc.  They had the quilt and the letter displayed at their reception.  :rolleyes:

I used So Fine thread, hobbs 80/20 batting and did a freehand funky flower.  The yellow border was the only thing I actually pulled from my stash to complete this quilt.

post-62883-0-40370600-1419902142_thumb.jpg

post-62883-0-67578300-1419902162_thumb.jpg

post-62883-0-92456100-1419902180_thumb.jpg

post-62883-0-34074300-1419902195_thumb.jpg

post-62883-0-25174900-1419902211_thumb.jpg

I must say, when I looked at the first picture, I wasn't really impressed.  But you really nailed these blocks and naturally your quilting is just superb!  I love the back placement better than the front.  All that watermelon between the blocks is beautiful

I must say, when I looked at the first picture, I wasn't really impressed.  But you really nailed these blocks and naturally your quilting is just superb!  I love the back placement better than the front.  All that watermelon between the blocks is beautiful

Ha, ha...I was not impressed either, several of the blocks were sewn together in a long piece and it looked very messy.  Divide and conquer was what it needed.  Thanks!  I like the back also.  I love pieced backings! 

Archived