Laser Light, where does it mount?

This may be a dumb question from a newbie, but I am at a loss! I just received my new Discovery machine and put it together without incident. The laser light came mounted on a little post on the top of the front of the machine. I can't, however, see where to mount it to work from the back of the machine. If you want to work from the back, where do you attach the laser?

When you stand at the backside of the table, on the left side there should be a tapped hole and you should have a longer post that screws into that hole. When you get that post screwed in, you place your laser pointer on that post and it plugs in to the power pack. The cord unplugs from the hole up toward the top of the machine head and plugs into the end of the laser pointer. When the pointer is on the top front, the cord plugs back in to the top hole on the back side and then the short cord plugs into the laser end and to the hole on the right side of the machine (right side when you stand at the back.). Is this all too confusing? If so, call me. 800-426-7233, ext. 15 and we can go through it on the telephone. It really is simple, believe it or not!

Thank you, Carla, for your simple explanation! I had already screwed the long post into the hole and even tried putting the laser onto the end, but when I tried to plug the cord into the hole at the top of the machine, it didn't reach, so I thought, this can't be right. It didn't occur to me to plug the cord from the power pack into it! Thank you so much for your help!

No problem. I'm happy I could help you. Now is everything hooked up and operating properly? The laser is great for using on pantographs but there are a lot of fun things to do with it on the front too. Putting your laser on the front opens up a whole new world of quilting options for you. You can adapt pictures from coloring books, follow a pattern in your fabric, etc. Anything that can be drawn without lifting your pencil can become a continuous line block design or motif that can be done with the front-mounted laser. So now that you know how to move it back and forth, have some fun with it! Keep us posted on your progress.:)

Everything is hooked up and working. I finished playing on a small baby-quilt-size piece of scrap and I'm in the process of loading a large queen-size piece of muslin on. I plan to fill the entire piece with practice at following the laser, both front and back. I want to be able to follow a panto from the back, but my main interest is working from the front of the machine and plan to follow a lot of block patterns. When I was first looking at the Discovery machine, I was very excited to see the laser on the front of the machine and made me even more sure this was the machine I wanted! I can't wait to finish loading the muslin and get back to practicing! I have a whole bolt of muslin that I am going to practice with before I attempt a quilt. Having done a lot of detailed quilting both by hand and on my DSM, I am eager to someday reach the level on my Discovery where I can turn out ornate quilting and trapunto, etc. It'll take time I know, but I have waited an awful long time to get my longarm (like 10 years!), so I will persevere and hopefully will get there one day! Thanks again for your help!!

Excellent. I'm glad everything is operating properly for you now. Just another little tip for you....you can get lots of use out of one piece of practice fabric if you begin by quilting with a very light-colored thread then you can go over it a second time with a little darker color like maybe a pastel of some sort and then use it one more time by stitching with a dark-colored thread. You can get a lot of mileage out of a practice piece by doing this. Its just a little something that I never thought of until a friend shared the idea with me. I thought it was great advice when it was given to me. Enjoy! And let us know anytime you've got questions or need some help.

Archived