CQ Floating Leaves Quilt

I taught this class on Floating Leaves. These two wall hangings were done by my student Lois Massa. She used hand dyed fabric she bought in CA for the leaves. The background and shadow is done with bleach. I scanned the leaf appliques and digitized the leaves in Autosketch. I used my CompuQuilter for the leaves and free handed the rest. I used Superior gold metallic and black So Fine thread. It's fun to think of ways to use my CQ.

OH, by the way these CQ leaf designs are for free on my website and you can download them.

http://www.compuquilterdesigns.com

post--13461897970771_thumb.jpg

Beautiful three-dimensional effect with the leaves JoAnn. Cathey and I were just talking about this Colleen Wise technique yesterday and how much fun it would be to do a project. The black velvet is a really good idea for fabric choice. Also the hand dyed fabrics look extra bright for the leaves. Of course you stitching looks fabulous too. So many people forget the dramatic effect that can be obtained from this long format sized wall hanging.

Vicki

That's beautiful, JoAnn! I've been eye-balling the wall-hangings in my LQS, and wanted to take a class but it was all over by the time I noticed it. So yesterday I bought the kit and instructions for making "Aria". I had to, since I'm a singer, LOL! It's going to be my reward when I'm done with this church quilt.

Good for you, devising your own design and instructions and teaching the class! Someday I hope to be so organized, LOL. Have fun! I'm leaving tomorrow for California, so you'll be free of my posts for a week. HA!

Hmm, MQS - nope, in that week I am taking a painting class in France (watercolor painting, no digitizing, not drawing in a computer, but with real-life brushes and water and paint on paper, drawing old french barns and sceneries in the open air - when I make a mistake, I can't hit escape, or undo _ I have to take a new sheet of paper :).

But next year, I'll definitely be at the MQS!

and we are also looking into coming to the Houston Quilt festival this fall.

Loes

http://www.pre-design.eu

Archived