Can a quilt that was started on a domestic be finished on a Long Arm?

I started quilting my quilt on my domestic machine and thought it would be long finished.  We are getting a Millie next week and wanted to know if I could put it on the frame and do the borders on my new machine.  If I can, how would I go about putting it on the frame as it is already mostly quilted. 

After attaching the backer to the leaders as straight as you can, pin baste the borders all around. If possible, pin the long sides to the leaders so you have even tension on most of the quilt. That way the longest stretch of border is in one pass.

You'll be able to see right away if there are any areas of fullness that need extra care. If you find problem areas within the already-quilted interior, best to remove those stitches to requilt. And don't be afraid to add more stitching to the interior, as long as it's flat. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

I've done this with a double size quilt where I hand quilted all the blocks and put down for a few years. I finished the sashing, corner stones and borders with my new (at the time) millie. Bottom line.. I was glad to have it finished instead of tossed in the closet unfinished. It was for me anyway and good practice.

Archived