How to start Egyptian Eye Circlelord Boards

I'm going to be starting a quilt with the Egyptian Eye CIrclelord Boards and was wondering how I start this.  Do I start in the middle of the boards at the top of the quilt or do I start with the first row of the board.  I noticed that the board will have some "open spaces" if I just start with the first row but maybe that will look OK.  I've never used the boards before so am unsure where on the boards you start quilting.     Thanks!

Standing in the back...start on first row (line)...go across from right to left...come back on the next line from left to right...then go back across right to left on next line going under the hole in the eye then come back across from left to right going in line above then into the hole in the eye and back out to the end ...then move up to the next row and do the same thing again...back and forth then roll the quilt and do same thing again...until you're finished.  God, I hope I'm visualizing that right.  It's very easy once you get into the rhythm.

OK so I start on the first row and just follow the pattern starting from the right side.   I float my quilt top and batting.  Since there will be no other stitching on the quilt except for the egyptian eye stitching, how do I stabilize the quilt top so it doesn't shift during this process?  I'm assuming you can't pin it since you're in the back and you'd be constantly stopping to take out pins - if you could even see them.    I do sew the top using the horizontal lock and the sides as I go - it just seems like the quilt is going to shift since there will be no other stitching or pins?

OK so I start on the first row and just follow the pattern starting from the right side.   I float my quilt top and batting.  Since there will be no other stitching on the quilt except for the egyptian eye stitching, how do I stabilize the quilt top so it doesn't shift during this process?  I'm assuming you can't pin it since you're in the back and you'd be constantly stopping to take out pins - if you could even see them.    I do sew the top using the horizontal lock and the sides as I go - it just seems like the quilt is going to shift since there will be no other stitching or pins?

Just bringing this back up as I'm still unsure about how to stabilize the quilt using the Circlelord boards.   TIA

Since the area of the board doesn't fill the quilting field, advance and line up the next pass. Then smooth and pull the top straight and  place pins close to the front roller to stabilize all across. Your side-basting will hold down the sides and you should be good to go.

I bet you'll find the CL boards are easy to master.

I stopped at Walmart today to purchase the shelf liner as indicated on one of the sheets I received from Circlelord.  It said to purchase the Easy Liner  item # 1468842 12 inch one.  After looking through every Easy Liner piece, there is no number 1468842.  They had rough, smooth, sticky and some other kinds of liners.  If someone could post a picture of what they're using maybe I can find the equivalent at my Walmart.   TIA.....Mercedes

I think the question is, how do you fill in the gap at the top since the first line has a "swag" in it.  I had trouble getting that into my head, too, so I just rolled the quilt top til I was lined up with the middle of the board on the first pass.  Not sure if that helps or not, but it worked for me.  Going back and forth is super fast and simple once you get rolling!

• 2 weeks later...

I also start in the "middle" of the Egyptian Eye board where the line is most straight and put that close to my edge.  If you use the Swirls Board, it's like the line on the edge of the swirls.  When you stitch the beginning of the quilt you are only using half of the board.  Then you advance after stitching and use the whole board for the rest of the quilt.

Another option (but is wasteful) is to have the backing about 8 inches longer on the top of the quilt.  I don't do this because it just wastes perfectly good fabric.  But it is an option.

Archived