Question about Egyptian Eye Board from someone who has used it

Want to use this board on quilt so the pattern runs from top to bottom lengthwise.  The quilt is 75" long and I would like to use only two widths of fabric for my backing.  Does this pattern use up a lot of the backing when quilted.  I usually use the amount of backing that is required for a longarm - but wanted to try this pattern on quilt for grandson.  It really won't show much as the quilt is red and blacks and very busy.     Know I  can do a meander and it will be enough backing if I  am careful.  Any input will be appreciated.  

Use salvages  (when possible) for attaching quilt bottoms to leaders .  Just didn't want to use another width of fabric for back if I could avoid doing so. 

Marilyn

When using any of the CL boards including the Egyptian Eye board I always start in the upper left corner of the quilt.  I check to make sure the design is not going to run off the edge of the top of the quilt before I start sewing.  I use the registration points and advance or roll backwards with the quilt until I have my design where I want it.  I also make sure that the board is positioned straight.  I lay it on top of that cabinet lining stuff and I add masking tape to both ends to keep it in place.  I usually only have about four extra inches on the top of my backing and I attach my batting and top as close to the top as I can get away with.  I've had no problems at all.

When using any of the CL boards including the Egyptian Eye board I always start in the upper left corner of the quilt.  I check to make sure the design is not going to run off the edge of the top of the quilt before I start sewing.  I use the registration points and advance or roll backwards with the quilt until I have my design where I want it.  I also make sure that the board is positioned straight.  I lay it on top of that cabinet lining stuff and I add masking tape to both ends to keep it in place.  I usually only have about four extra inches on the top of my backing and I attach my batting and top as close to the top as I can get away with.  I've had no problems at all.

Can you explain better what "registration points" are for us newbies to Circlelord boards?   TIA

Not all of them have the little marks, but my later ones do and the Egyptian Eye one did.  If you look closely you can see little circles big enough for the stylus to fit into. It's hard to explain, but when you have the board in front of you it makes sense. When I start the very first row I put my stylus there then advance so my needle is over my line I stitched to attach the top. I don't know if that's how it's suppose to work, but it does. Whenever I'm starting a new row I put my stylus in one of those holes...advance my quilt until the needle is over the last row I did and that lines it up perfectly.  I'll try to post a pic.

Well, I attached the stylus to my machine and setup the Egyptian Eye board on the machine table.  I thought I knew what to do but now I'm totally confused.  I wish these came with instructions.   I'm probably making this harder then it should be but I've never used a board.   Here's my list of questions:

1.  Standing at the back of the machine do the little round registration points go at the top of the board or the bottom - that determines which way you lay the board down on the table?

2.  How do you line the board up on the table so it sews straight on the quilt?

3.  It appears you cannot do one full width of the board using a Millie so that means you have to stop and move the fabric.  I'm confused as to how you use the registration points to line everything back up.  I reread the thread above but still confused.

4.  Do you just pick any starting point on the board that you like or is there some technique to deciding this?

5.  How do you get the two boards to fit together level - one seems to not want to lay even with the other. 

6.  What is the best way to store the boards - flat or on their sides?

Any help would be appreciated as I have my quilt loaded and am ready to start.  TIA.....Mercedes

What great service, Michael called me and walked me through the process of using the boards answering all my questions.  As a Newbie I didn't realize that when you're working from the back the top of your quilt should be on the furthest roller from you.  I loaded my quilt as I would normally from the front - newbie mistake!   

I also found out that all this this time my machine only had 12 inches of sewing space because there was a bumper put on the right rail at 6 inches in from the end.  It stopped the machine from using all available sewing space.  There is no screw hole at the 1" mark on the rail that would be normal for all Millies - not sure how this came about but without Michael calling me, I would have never known.  I've taken the bumper at the 6 inch mark off and I'll need to either drill a hole at the 1 inch mark and put a bumper in or something to stop the machine at that point.   

Thank you Michael for all you help!  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived