Bobbins ... Regular aluminium or pre-wounds ??

Deb34285

Hi,

My name is Debbie and I purchased a new george in late November. Needless to say I didn't get tons of quilt time through the holidays, but have George running now !

As I am playing with different threads etc I have also had to play with the tension. Having said that, today I wound some bottom line on an aluminum bobbin and my stitches just looked terrible. I was previously using the prewounds that came with my George (superiors superBobs bottom line ) and the stitches looked pretty good. So my question is what do you all like when it comes to bobbins in George? ( what brands if you like prewounds or any tension advise if you don't )

Thanks for any advise you can offer!

What winder did you wind your bobbin on?  Was it the turbo from APQS?  Or your DSM?  That might make a difference.  I have used plain, regular pre-wounds, my own wound aluminum on the turbo, and right now am using a magna bobbin.  I haven't had any real tension problems with any of them.  The speed of the winding might cause different tension on the thread in the bobbin.  You might need to adjust your top tension a bit more to even out the bobbin tension.  So far I haven't needed to adjust my bobbin tension at all, just the top.  I have used King Tut, So Fine, Rainbows, Superior threads, Invisifil all in both bottom and top and mixed.  There is a learning curve to it all.

Good luck.  I know someone with much better knowledge will get on here to really help you.

Personally I like to wind my own aluminum.  They are less expensive than the metal to purchase initially, and that's probably the reason that I started with those.  My first Millie didn't like pre-wounds, and I think it's probably my urge to recycle everything that made me not like them.  Why throw away the cardboard when I can wind my own and always have the right color of thread?  Also never having to worry that I don't have enough thread of a specific color to finish a quilt. 

Just my 2 cents.

I've used pre-wound Bottom Line bobbins for six years. Before I purchased a turbo winder, winding each bobbin on my on-board winder took three minutes. For 10 bobbins needed for a big custom quilt, I'd be winding bobbins for at least a half-hour. When I figured the cost of pre-wounds versus the time it took to wind my own and the cost of the thread I used---the convenience and even tension of the pre-wounds helped me decide to use them all the time. I wind special-color bobbins every now and then. I also have a thread charge so I can keep a large variety of types and colors of thread in my inventory.

Thank you for all your kind replies.

I wind my bobbins on the simplicity brand bobbin winder that APQS included/shipped with my machine. It's a plastic jobber but seems to wind the bobbins very evenly. I am gathering that the feed- back is mixed with several people liking the prewounds and several liking winding their own. I like the idea of matching my thread top and bottom since my quilting is still in its infancy . I was using bottom line on top and a super bob in bobbin and it looked okay- until I switched to sew fine on top and bottom. Then my stitches just looked awful. I would adjust top tension tighter as inially it looked too tight on bottom. It would look okay for a while then start looking too tight on top. Back and forth. It was a bit maddening. I guess I just have to keep fiddling with tension

Differdnt thread combinations require tweaking. I run mostly super bobs, some magna glides and an occasional self wound. I have the most trouble with self wounds. I run super bobs with lava, so fine, glide and the majority of the other lines, unless I have matching magna glides to my glide cones. I have a separate bobbin case for each application. Also if the bobbin case has been dropped it will cause issues. My first go to is clean bobbin case, then try a new one. They do not last forever.

Shirley

I've been winding my own bobs from the start. I have the turbo as well, but prefer my old stand A-lone. I have rebuilt the old stand A-lone about three times. Changed out the foot control for an on/off switch with a longer cord. Put a metal cone stand and replaced the motor three times and the winder once. I only use the metal bobs with the holes on one side. They seem to work the best for me. Zeke....

Archived