Thoughts on how to quilt this Around the World quilt?

I might stipple the inside black border, but I don't think I'd want to do that to the outside one.  I don't think I'd like a quilt that was flat and stiff on the edge.  I'd probably try and stitch some pattern in the outside black border that complements or repeats the quilting of the patched pieces.   Just my thoughts.  Jim

I wouldn't stipple in either black border. Those are the frames that enclose the interior. Piano keys with spacing that matches the piecing would be easy and effective for the outer border. If you can get away with only SIDing the inner black border, that would make a nice frame. If you need stitching inside the inner border, a straight line down the middle would continue the graphic lines and keep the focus on the colored piecing.

Traditional quilting for this type of pattern made up of many small squares is CCs. You can stitch traditional CCs that are like circles/pumpkinseeds or you can do Terry Twists or any other variation. Google "line dancing" or "Diana Philips quilter" for inspiration.

If you have one or two fabrics that you want to accentuate (like all the brown florals or perhaps the palest fabric) don't stitch CCs on those--just SID them. Depending on the batting you choose, those blocks will pop.

Another options is diagonal lines through the corners of the squares, following the paths that the different colors make. It will be all concentric squares when you finish. Don't stitch through the corners of any color of fabric that you want to accentuate and that path of fabric will stand out. 

Archived