Circle Lord

JudyL

Do you have to tie off the thread for each circle, or is there a way to do continuous circles? How much tying off do you do with a longarm -- I find that the most tedious when quilting with my regular SHORT! arm machine, and am wondering if that problem is still a problem with longarm.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marge,

Each circle has a start and stop. The thread has to be secured on both. I start the thread a few stitches ahead and then back track. At the stop, I usualy do a few up/down single stitch needle stitches to form a tiny knot, give it a little tug to pull to the middle of the layers.

Nancy

Duluth, MN

I broke down and ordered the CL+5 with a couple of the guides. I am hand guiding 3 and 4 inch square spirals, oh, add 6" s-s as the customer wants more quilting...

She is a good friend, and I gave her a way low cost, but all this handwork is going to cost me in time. The rest of the quilt (king) is hand and machine quilted. Already bound. I'm filling in the square spirals across the whole quilt. How does one estimate the cost when using the CL?

Cynthia

I haven't figured out any costs but I just did a twin size quilt with the clams template from CL and it took about 90 minutes from beginning to end, including the time it took to set up the quilt. It turned out great and I hadn't even practiced with it beforehand. All of the templates are easy to use and the different design possibilities are amazing. The Circle Lord rocks !

Jean: Can you post a picture of the quilt with the clams? I haven't ordered the giant shells but I keep thinking about it. I'm wondering -- how do they break down when not in use? If I have one more thing to have to store, I'm going to have to get a bigger place. And, if I tell my husband I need a bigger place, . . . I don't even want to think about what his response might be! :(

Judy,

I am jumping in here! I also have done the Giant Clam (not the King) on a quilt. I didn't practice either. It turned out wonderful with not a problem. I did a queen quilt which had some piecing and loose seam problems. The layout of the shells was such that it really reinforced the bad spots. I use polar fleece on the back and no stretching. W&N cotton batting. The quilt is a utility quilt for my bed and because of dust mite allergies, I have to was the quilt frequently.

Nancy-Millie

Duluth, MN

I don't know if I will order the giant clams or not. I like the way it looks but so much of my business is custom and the claims would fit more into an overall category . . at least the way I have my pricing set up. If I had more overall business, I'd definitely order it.

I just got off the phone with Mike and ordered The Circle Lord. I'm sitting here reading all the posts and have a question. You say you had to raise the machine to

accommodate the Circle Lord. Do you have to lower the

machine when you want to do freehand and pantograph quilting when you are not using he Circle Lord? I am a newbie to all of the long arm quilting stuff.

Cynthia: The only thing I've done so far with the CL is make circles for feathered wreaths. The way I have my pricing categories set, if it involves much SID at all, it is either custom or heirloom. So, if I'm using the CL with a lot of SID around the blocks and/or pieces, it would be custom or heirloom. If I'm using the CL without SID, it probably would not be custom.

My customers pretty much know the rates they should be paying. If I were to use the CL in the blocks but then not have the custom work in the border, they would not be happy about paying custom prices.

For me, it's a matter of the whole picture -- whatever I've done on the whole quilt. So, I really can't say that just using the CL makes it custom or not custom.

I'm sure this doesn't help you but . . that's how it works for me.

Judy - Can you answer my previous post on the CL as to whether or not you have to take the spacers off when you use the machine freehand or do you leave the CL spacers on all the time. I would hate to have to keep taking them on and off. I ordered a CL today after seeing your wonderful quilts and the posts on the board. I was torn between this and the Hartley Fence.

If you're talking about once you raise your machine, you never have to mess with it again. You just leave the machine up higher . . it's only about 3/8 - 1/2" higher and it doesn't affect the machine at all. In fact, for me it has worked out better with the machine a bit higher off the table.

I'm sorry I missed your question if you had asked it earlier and . . if this is not the right answer (cuz I misunderstood the question), please let me know and I'll try again.

I didn't take a picture of the quilt with the clams because I was anxious to get it shipped to the owner. She called when it arrived and was thrilled. I have another one in waiting and will post when it is complete.

In my area the quilters charge more for clams and don't consider them an overall design. The one's I have seen are freehand and not nearly as good as using the CL template. The other templates would certainly be considered custom work, especially since you can customize each design based on the quilt. I'm not implying that you could charge as much as one of Judy's esquisite, one-of-a-kind, feathered quilts. There are many levels of custom work and Judy's are definitely high end. Tools won't replace that kind of talent. (and I still aspire to that level through ppp) However, the CL is a wonderful tool for customizing designs and giving the client something much more than a panto or overall design. Based on the finished product, I will certainly charge more for my work using the CL.

BTW, you can buy the clam template without buying the CL system. It works independently from the main unit.

The big star quilt that I just did had f sawtooth type stars (one on each corner and one in the center) and I wanted to do a feather wreath. I wondered if setting the Circle Lord up to do those few would be a hassle but it was not! It was so simple and they are so perfect! I have all kinds of circle templates but finding the center with the CL and making all five of the circles took about half the time it would have taken me to do one circle using a template, and the template would not have been totally perfect.

I think except for the machine itself, the Circle Lord is the best investment I've made!

I love it! If all I ever use it for is making centers for feathered wreaths, I will feel like it was worth it but I am sure I will use it for much more.

Can someone please explain to me exactly what is the benefit of having either the circle lord or the hartley fence. I have viewed both websites, have heard comments regarding the differences in each tool. When I showed them to my husband today he says: "How many circles are you really gonna make anyway?"

It is my understanding that these tools used with their extra components are used for templates, all shapes, etc, not just circles and ovals right? Cookie cutters for the hartley Fence show cute images like fish and flowers.

I guess I am wondering how much do you ladies that do have them, find that you really use them on customer's quilts, and do they improve your work, or are they more work than they are worth.

Please let me know, I too just got my taxes done and found I can get one just am not sure whether I would benefit from a CL or fence or buying $500 in pantos:)

Heidi: I don't have the Hartley Fence so I can't comment on it. But I do have the Circle Lord although I haven't used it a whole lot yet but I believe I will.

The good thing is that you don't have to buy anything until you are ready. You can stick that tax refund in the bank and wait til you know what you want and then spend it.

I'm not going to say it is impossible to make perfect circles with templates or just by drawing them but I never could do it. If you make many feather wreaths, you will realize the beauty of having a perfect circle to start with. If I never do anything but make the spines for feather wreaths, I will feel the CL was worth the expense. But I know I will use it for more.

As far as spending $500 on pantos, that's easy to do too but I've found that if I have a client who wants a panto, I can present her with 3 or 5 choices and she's happy. I can present her with 15 or 20 choices and she's totally confusfed. The pantos are all pretty and unique but at some point, just just don't need a ton of them.

If I had a lump sum to spend, I'd spend it on something BIG. Buying a $600 Circle Lord isn't something you'd do every day. Buying a $20 panto isn't such a big deal. You can buy a few here and a few there and not really feel like you've broken the bank.

Yes, you can make all kinds of shapes with the Circle Lord. The best thing to do is go to their web site and spend a few hours! :)

http://www.loriclesquilting.com/

Guest Linda S

I have a Hartley Fence. I've only used it once, as it is not very easy to use and it didn't come with the best set of instructions. I have gotten better instructions from someone on this list (I think Myrna?) but haven't had the chance to use it since. I am taking the Circle Lord class from Linda Mae Diny at MQX, so I can see if this gadget is really as easy to use as y'all say (hey, I'm a techno-geek, but I still have trouble with some things), so I can decide if I want to buy one or not. You have to understand that this is very unlike me, I usually just jump in and buy something. Maybe the big price tag has me waivering!

Linda

I have the Hartley Fence and I purchased the Circle Lord at Innovations last year. Last month I finally installed the Circle Lord and raised the machine. The difference between the two is like night and day. I never used the Hartley Fence it just gathers dust. Yesterday I did Baptist Fans with the Circle Lord and tried some of the other designs. It took me a few minutes for the light to come on, but it sure is fun to use. The best thing about the Circle Lord is IT COMES WITH GOOD INSTRUCTIONS AND PICTURES and Michael is only a phone call away. I would recommend the Circle Lord hands down over the Hartley Fence. If you have a chance to use either before you purchase I'd try them and see which one fits you best. As far as I'm concerned the CL is the better tool.

Anita Owen

Bed of Roses MQ

Olalla, WA

Ult 1

Archived