What Machine Do You Have?

I have the next two blocks marked off for my crosshatching but can't start stitching yet until my wife gets up....my quilting room (=living room) sits next to our bedroom and if I want to live long enough to finish this quilt I had better NOT wake her.

So I was surfing the forum and web as usual.  Left the APQS website and was checking all of the different models of machines.  I was curious what machine do you all use.  I think I know that not everybody has an APQS but wanted to see what machine you have and what machine you would love to have if you had the money and room.

I have a 15" mid arm machine called the Block Rockit.  It's manufactured by the Grace Company for Kathy Quilts.  It just came out last year and I was one of the first to get one....we got special pricing so it was affordable for me.  We were the ginny pigs to help get any bugs out of the machine and we did but now the machines are wonderful.  They sew beautiful stitches, easy to maintain, and without the ruler base on I can pretty much quilt a 10" block...with the ruler base on about 2/3 of a 10" block.  I've very happy with it.

Now, what do I WANT?  I want a Milinnium of course....with ALL  the bells and whistles.

David

I have an 1997 APQS Ult 2, and a 2001 Gammill Classic.  Both have been upgraded with Intellistitch stitch regulators and magnetic channel locks.  I have done all sorts of modifications to the Ult 2 to make it suit my needs/wishes better.

As far as "love to have" goes, all the machines I've looked at leave something to be desired.  None of them completely satisfy me.  I would have to say that I am pretty well satisfied with my Ult 2 in it's present configuration.  If I had to replace Zelda  (my Ult 2), which I really have no desire to do, I would probably replace her with an Innova.  That being said, I would be happy using any of the first line (A-1, APQS, Gammill, Innova, Nolting, or Prodigy) machines.  Each has something about it I like, and something I find lacking.  Jim

David, I like your first statements.  I sew in the first half of our loft bedroom and as long as the bed isn't covered with the accumulation/supplies from the sewing cabinets he can and does come up and goes right to sleep while I finish my latest.

I have George in the old cabinet table.  If I could get another, it would be one of George's siblings but I don't know which size.

I have a 2007 Millie.  Love her and am thankful to have her.  Before that I had an old rotary stretched machine.  It worked and did what it was supposed to do but I soon wanted more, mostly a SR and more quilting space.  I also wanted a hopping foot which my old machine didn't have but it gave me the time to learn if I liked machine quilting on a frame.

I started with a Handi Quilter and was wanting a larger one with more throat space, but ended up with an APQS Millennium instead.   The major selling point for me (other than quality) was the fact they they are made right here in Iowa and the showroom is only 1 hour from me !   A friend has a Block Rockit ordered to be delivered to her when she returns to Iowa from her winter in Texas.  I'll be interested to see how she likes it.

Linda B

Tell your friend when she gets her Block Rockit to join our Yahoo Group.  If she has any problems we can usually help her with it right from the forum....if we can't then the Grace Company or Lynn with Kathy Quilts can. 

David

I have a 2013 Millennium on a 14' table with bliss and hydraulic lift and motorized advance etc. (essentially I have everything you can have without computerization).

I love it...but honestly while I am certain that these machines and their bells and whistles may make some things easier...there is no substitute for talent and PPP. I will never be half the quilter the lady who posted above me is even though I have a newer machine (heck I'd be thrilled to be 1/4 the quilter she is). I know you have seen the amazing work the ladies (and men) on this board do...I am constantly in awe.  

I started with a little grace frame and a brother 1500. I wanted more quilting space. So these forums allowed me to find my Patience, 2004 Millennium on a 14 foot frame with fabric advance. I'm very happy with Patience. We have yet had an argument lol. She has taught me to have patience. I was prepared for the learning curve and frustrations. But I fretted for no reason. Between the forums and all the wonderful people at APQS, APQS was the right choice for me.

Now if money was not a problem, I would want to have the new millennium with thread sensors, lift, bliss and IQ.

I'm a hobby quilter.  I have a 2007 12' Millie recently upgraded with M&M wheels.  After back surgery and its compications I added the side-saddle.  Wish I would have taken the plunge initially with a hydraulic lift.  Also, since I'll always be a hobbyist, wish I would have decided on a 10' table.  When we moved recently it limited choices.  Sometimes less is more.

Pat S

I have a Green Millennium purchased in 2009.  I think that the Green Millenniums were originally Ultimate II's or Freedoms refurbished with new components. It was a very good buy and I have never regretted it.  Since I purchased it I added M&M wheels, Circle Lord template system, and a camera so I can work the boards and pantos from the front.  I love my machine.  If I ever wanted a new one, I think I would go with a new Millennium and maybe a computer.

I have a Green Millennium purchased in 2009.  I think that the Green Millenniums were originally Ultimate II's or Freedoms refurbished with new components. It was a very good buy and I have never regretted it.  Since I purchased it I added M&M wheels, Circle Lord template system, and a camera so I can work the boards and pantos from the front.  I love my machine.  If I ever wanted a new one, I think I would go with a new Millennium and maybe a computer.

Ok, I have to ask - what is the camera that you've added to work the boards & pantos from the front and how is it setup?   Pictures please?

Bobbin Cam or something similar is what they were called.  A fellow put together the components and sold a number of them here to forum members until a company that manufactured a system and who had patented it threatened to sue.  He stopped selling them.  I have one.  It consists of 2 cameras, one mounted to watch the underside of the quilt near the needle, and one mounted on the stylus to watch the table.  They are connected to a small monitor that sits atop the machine.

BTW, I believe the Green Millennium began as an Ult 1, not a Ult 2 or other model, but I'm not absolutely sure.  Jim

Thank you Jim - I was wondering about the 'beginning' of my machine, but regardless of its beginnings, I really love it.

And yes, exactly what you said.   I bought the cam from Matt Sparrow Studio in BC just before it was called back because of some sort of patent issue.  It is a camera that attaches at the back - just above where you would have your panto laser or Circle Lord stylus - and a video display at the front of the machine so that you can see from the front of the machine where your stylus or laser light  is so that you can follow the panto or Circle Lord template from the front of the machine.  It is really great.  With the Circle Lord you need the 'up front thingy' which is a push button to control the the stylus.  The cam also came with a camera that pointed up from the bottom of the machine (close to the needle bar) so that you can see your stiches underneath on the camera instead of having to get on your hands and knees with a flashlight to see if your tension is good.  I don't use that as much as the one as the back.   I hope this explains it.  I think there is another cam system out there but I don't know who makes it.

We have a APQS Liberty, love the fabric advance. I am watching the new Bernina long arm, lots to like. This machine will revolutionize the long arm industry.

Yes, the Bernina long arm does have some cool features.   I'd like to see the APQS come up with a machine that has some build in designs.  Every DSM these days have a number of built in stitches available without using software.  Wouldn't it be great if Millie could have some built in designs that require just a push of a button to be stitched out - no software required.

I have a 2008 Lenni with IQ which I have now sold (keeping my IQ) and hope to soon receive my Millie with fabric advance, Bliss table and Quilt Glide.  Together with my IQ, I'm really excited to get playing with.

I also liked the look of the Bernina when I saw it last summer but also felt it was early days for them.  Far better that they iron out the inevitable glitches.  It will be interesting to watch their journey.  If it's anything like their DSM's, it should do well.  Simply their name will sell quite a few.

Chris

Archived