shipping Circle Lord long boards

I think I used lots of plastic wrap (kitchen wrap is fine) when shipping boards . Also used foam along the edges - split pool noodles placed on all edges and then wrap some plastic wrap around the entire board to keep it in place. If the box is not big enough, you can take it apart and join to another one with tape then refold and tape it around the boards. I would not trust things like foam popcorn to stay in place. You should also pack the space above and below the wrapped boards to prevent crushing in on the middle sections of the boards. Wish I had kept the original shipping boxes, but didn't, so had to do it the hard way when I sold mine....

Debbie

PS. Amazon sells the pool noodles all year long and ships fast if you are a prime member. That's where I recently got mine. When we move next month, I plan to split them and place them on the long arm rails to protect the edge during the move.

I would put a piece of bubble wrap in between each board and then tape all the boards together with painting tape.  Then you can bubble wrap the whole set with extra cardboard around each corner.  I would then warp this package with cardboard before putting it in to the final box.  Be sure the boards fit snuggly into the box and the corners of the box and edges have extra tape so the boards don't find their way out during shipping.  If the boards are left to slouch around in a box too big, they will become scratched, possibly fall out the bottom and possible chips on the corners.   If you use a box too big they may also charge an over-sized box charge which can be very expensive for the buyer and unnecessary.

We bought the rolls of packing plastic at Lowes or Home Depot.  It is about 5" wide, sticks to itself like plastic wrap, and has a handle.  DH wrapped the boards, top to bottom and end to end, with the plastic.  Probably no more than two or three boards wrapped together, although I think that I shipped at least six boards in some boxes, sometimes with the smaller design boards.  He built boxes from large sheets of cardboard that were left from the windows my brother put in the house he is building.  As advised by others, use extra cardboard supports around the corners and ends of the boards and do not make the box so large that the boards can shift in transit.  Be sure the corners of the boxes are closed and taped.  DH used a lot of packing tape on the outside of the boxes.   :P    We shipped a lot of boards and as far as I know they all arrived their destinations in good condition.  All were shipped via UPS.

Dennis packs and ships the crosshatching rulers and this method works well. Get a sheet of foam insulation at the home improvement store. Cut at least three (maybe four) pieces that exactly fit the ends of the box. Two of them should be grooved so when they are placed at the ends of the box, the boards are suspended in the center of the box. Don't cut all the way through and the ends of the boards will be protected. The other two should have slits cut all the way through so you can thread them on the boards. Tape as many boards together as you need to, using painter's tape or strapping tape. Thread on the center supports and the end pieces. Check to see that the boards are secure and don't slide at all. You may need to fill some extra space at the ends, but more sections of foam insulation will work great. I hope you can visualize it--we've never had any breakage with this method.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to taking pics of the CL board sent to me by Michael and my adaption of it to send a larger board to my SIL.  I tried to use the same box mine came in even though it's the 12" board and adapted it to send a 15" board.  The last pic is where I added the foam type material (it went the whole length on both sides) and I added more cardboard box material on top and taped well.  It cost $40 plus insurance to send UPS from central CA to Ohio. 

Archived