Increasing George's Table Height

Cagey

George's table finally arrived from up north.  I would like to know if any of you that have the old style table could share your pictures of how your raised the table height.  I have an idea of how I may go about doing it, but I wanted to see what you have done first.

I am going to use the table for a month or so before I raise it, but I am finding that my right leg is somewhat pinched under the detent for George using the foot control.  I like sitting right in front of the needle, and it just seems a little too confined and low for my liking.  

Thank you for sharing.

Cagey

I do think personal height is a factor in using George and his table.  I haven't raised mine because I use an adjustable chair  to get my arms at the right level, then put the foot pedal on a secretarial footstool for comfortable reaching.

I would suggest you consider having a lift section made (kind of like an H shape) for the front and back legs to fit in the H legs and a platform (if needed for the foot pedal) to go between the upper legs of the H.  The other thing to consider is if you want to have the new platform on the castors that came with the cabinet or be a more permanent set up.  My George table always stays in the everything open configuration.  If you are going to lower the "back leaf" of the table then you will need to figure a different method of risers because the gate legs need to move to lower the leaf.

Please post some pictures so we can be sure we are talking about the same style of table.

Madelyn:

My thought was to get a piece of high quality wood that matches the table and run it along the bottom of the sides where the wheels presently are mounted.  I am considering having the wood cut wider than the present base area so I can attach a larger/taller wheels.  This should fix two  issues at once, the hight issue for me, and make it easier to move the table on the carpet it sits.

Vickie:

The table does not use post casters, so that is not an option.  I am going to see if I can mount a larger base caster set on the bottom of the base.  I will probably have to place another piece of wood along the bottom, as it is only about 1/2 thick, and I would not want the screws to pull out.  

I figured that I am not the only person to have found the table a tad low for my legs to fit comfortable below George.  Thus I hoped someone else had already made some modifications to the table.

Thanks for the input.

Cagey 

Sorry Cagey, I must be losing sight. I didn't see that it was a George.

I'd love that table for the dsm, wonderful for sewing backing to leaders and

binding, after I'm done stitching.

talking too much today, too, so

I apologize.  :blink:   ;)

Patty:

Thank you for the information.  I will checkout there website, to see if I can find a new set of casters to raise the table height slightly.  I am still playing around with my new toy getting the tension set properly and putting shims under the table to decide how high I finally want it.  

Have you ever used Renaissance micro-crystalline wax polish on your George tables or used it on your base extender to slacken them up to allow the fabric/machine to move more easily?

Cagey

Archived