"Eye Spy" Fabric Exchange - Updated - LAST DAY!

Oh crap!  I just spent the day shopping with two girlfriends and I bought a little fabric at each place.  I was thinking we were sending a lot of different fabrics.  I don't remember what we did on the last "I SPY" swap.  Hmmmmm.  Oh well...I can do it either way.  All one fabric or a bunch of different ones. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look how adorable this fabric is.  I think they're Alpacas.  They made me laugh.  Had to buy it.  A child should know what they look like...lol.  I found so many cute ones...couldn't choose so I bought them all.  Too fun today.  Great day with my friends and a great lunch too.

Count me in for two slots so I can do a matchie matchie.  I've done a ton of game quilts for my grandboys when they were toddlers and/or preschoolers.  They're now college age.  Maybe I'll tuck some away for great grandbabies Also did a eye-spy for an auction quilt for a local school fundraiser including pictures of all the kids.  It was a blast and a real money maker at the auction.  The kids loved finding their pictures.

Pat S 

I love those alpaca's, Oma! I hope I get one!!

Your fabric reminds me of a funny story. My mom sent me an email the other day with some beautiful pictures and one was a picture of a white owl. I looked at the picture for a couple of moments and in my brain fog I wasn't processing that the description of the picture wasn't matching the picture and for a minute I thought I was looking at an owl!! But it was a llama (which kind of looks like your alpacas). :)

post-5206-0-96755200-1422981638_thumb.jpg

Just a note Barb--for those who want to do "matchy-matchy", they will have to be in a separate group with all others who are in two groups and plan to send all the same fabric. Otherwise it won't work. You might want to separate the groups into two-somes and all random. It may be a logistical nightmare for you.  :huh:

Unfortunately, I have no little friend to make an I Spy for *big sigh* , but what a great idea for an exchange!

How this is set up will affect the outcome.

If for every one who wants to be in 2 slots, you count each slot as a person to buy for, then some people will get 2 of some fabrics - one square in each of their 2 slots. Or for example - 30 people and 50 slots and you send a square for each slot,( in this case 50) then 20 people will get 2 of some fabrics and the other 10 people will get one of that fabric - (providing of course that all 50 squares are of the same fabric - in reference to Oma's post above. ) But if 2 slots is seen as 2 groups (A & B ) and you buy a fabric for each person in group A and a different fabric for each person in group B, then each group will have different fabrics and no one will get duplicates of anything. I hope I am making sense - or set me straight if I am confused...... It wouldn't be the first time!

Chris

Barb,

Matchie matchie for me.

Wow, that's right.  We need to send two of the same fabric for those who want to do matchie matchie.  I signed up for two slots for the purpose of doing a matchie-matchie project.  If you decide to abandon the matchie matchie concept, I'll just do one slot.

Pat S 

Barb not sure if this helps or not but the last time we did this we sent in however many squares of the same fabric.  I think we had to send in 40 squares and got 40 back and we could sign up for multiple sets.  So if you choose to participate in 2 sets you would send in 40 squares of 2 different fabrics and then get back 80 squares of the mix.

Barb, as long as everyone includes a fat quarter of their fabric for you as compensation for your time, and so you'll have what you need for your grand baby's quilt. The rest of us can just be happy with what we get, and as the grandkids say, "and don't make a fit."

I am looking for a lot of different fabrics. I don't want any of the same fabrics in the I spy quilts that I make. BUT if I understand this correctly... If we send you 30 (??) or so pieces of the same fabric we should get the same number back and they all should be all be different ( assuming no two people send in the same fabric.) For people who choose "2 slots," they will send in another 30(??) pieces of a DIFFERENT print from their first selection . They will get 60 (??) pieces back with duplicates.  OR if we were to send in a variety of squares those people who chose 2 slots will have less duplicates. Since I am looking for the most variety ......I would vote for sending in a variety of fabrics.

Barb, please include me for at least 1 slot.  I prefer lots of different fabrics, not matching, but can work with whatever.

If this helps at all, for the last swap we each sent in squares from multiple fabrics.  It was supposed to be 20 squares from 4 different fabrics, but since I was using fat quarters, I couldn't get 20 squares from each.  Mary (the organizer) said it was OK for me to use 5 fabrics, as long as I sent in a total of 80 squares.  The original plan was for a group of 20 people, but there were enough participants to have 2 groups (some people were in both groups).  Each person got 80 different squares, or 160 if they were in both groups (like me!).

I would think doing it in groups (of 20 or whatever) would be easiest for you, but you're the best judge of that.  If you do have more than 1 group, I'd like to be in 2, please!

Archived