entering MQX

I just to an email from Janet Lee and she said they are accepting a few late entries.  For those of you who have been luckily enough to have one accepted into MQX, how hard is it to get juried in?  I have a couple I have finished over the last couple of years, but I have never entered into a show.  The one I am thinking of is the bright colored and black mariner's compass with the flyng geese border, but I don't know if it is good enough.

Suggestions?  Advice?

post-1022-0-94941800-1422920343_thumb.jpg

post-1022-0-97976900-1422922746_thumb.jpg

When I entered a quilt into MQX, I found the process fairly simple and painless. I entered several quilts over several years and although I didn't win any ribbons from judges, I thought the process was a great learning experience. I did win several teacher ribbons which I am very proud to have. One of the things I have noticed over the years is that all the award winning quilts at all shows seem to be ones that are quilted to death. By this I mean that there is a ton of very tiny detailed quilting - the more the better. The competition is stiff and getting stiffer all the time. I suggest you enter your quilt and whether you win or not, treat it is a wonderful experience. Sometimes the judges will give really great advice - sometimes not so great! Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck and just have fun with it.

One thing I have noticed is that the same quilts win at all the shows, over and over.  One that wins at Paducah will win Road to California, MQX, and the show in Texas.  I think it would be more fair if a quilt was only allowed to win one major prize in its lifetime.  Of course, I'll probably never be good enough to worry about that happening to me.

I would say go for it Teresa!  The thing to think about with MQX is that judging is based largely on quilting...so as much as piecing is a consideration, even more so will be your quilting.  So I would say go for the quilt that you are most proud of your quilting work on in addition to your piecing.  Not all shows judge this way, but this show in particular is geared towards the machine quilting.

You can't win if you don't enter - and so far, MQX has been the most enjoyable show to enter for me!  They really make it a fun experience.  :)

One thing I have noticed is that the same quilts win at all the shows, over and over.  One that wins at Paducah will win Road to California, MQX, and the show in Texas.  I think it would be more fair if a quilt was only allowed to win one major prize in its lifetime.  Of course, I'll probably never be good enough to worry about that happening to me.

I'm glad you took the plunge, Teresa. I've been lucky to have a few customer quilts in a couple of shows, but never one that was exclusively mine.

As for the elite groups of show quilters, they supplement their income by sending their quilts to the big shows. In order to supplement, you have to win. Those quilts may take a year or more of planning, piecing, quilting, and finishing. The different shows have different rules, but many times a quilt that takes the top prize in one show can't be entered in another under the same governing body. If it doesn't take the big prize it can be entered in another show by the same group. Quilts usually can't be more than two years old, so the life of a show quilt is similar to that of a beauty pageant contestant. The quilt is finished and a schedule of shows is planned. It's groomed and sent off to be in the custody of the show for several weeks before and during the show. Then it's sent back or sometimes if the time is short between shows, arrangements are made to have it delivered to the next show. It's a whirlwind of activity with the hopes that some prize money will be won. After making the rounds for two years, and never at the same show twice, it's retired. By that time the same quilter may have another quilt making the rounds. We all know how subjective judging can be and a quilt may be Grand Champion at one show and not place at the next. And even though the quilts are judged "blind" every judge recognizes the artist's style or has seen the quilts from a previous show or on-line.

Another reason a show quilter works so hard and enters a gorgeous quilt is so their name is out there in the magazines and on-line. They teach at the shows, sell CDs, might have a line of rulers, pantos, or digitized designs available, and also quilt for customers. They need their name to be recognized to keep the work coming.

But remember, it wouldn't be a quilt show without quilts. So the shows need lots of quilts to hang and the categories cover a wide range of specs that allow all of us to enter our work. 

Teresa, you should by all means enter if you would like to show a quilt.  Like Linda says, the judges are very subjective and you may win, or you may not - you may win best of show at one show and not even place at another...it depends on the judges.  I find that the judges comments are useful if you want to enter more quilts in shows in the future, it is helpful to see what you can improve on...but again, that is only one judges opinion.  But again - it is a great learning experience!  Glad you are doing it!

A couple years ago, I got brave and entered a quilt into the Des Moines Show.........sent in the pictures and everything down to Paducah and got accepted.   It was a thrill to see my quilt hanging at the show and it was right next to Marilyn Badger's..........for a little while............until she won and hers got moved to the premier location.     :)  :)  :)  :)  But I was there !   It was fun to walk around the show and receive congrats for being a contestant...name in the book, etc. ........didn't win a thing, but I was very proud !   I'll do it again one of these days.   

Archived