Groz Beckert needles

Hello!

This question was already posted in the newbie section but since no one has answered I'll repost it here.

I accidentally ordered Groz Beckert needles size 100/16. Will these be ok to use on my Millennium? I want to use them on a batik quilt with a batik back.

Which needles do you use when you quilt a batik quilt?

Thanks!

Suzanne

I believe it was Mark who told me that the APQS machines are timed for MR needles. There is an extra "bump" on the Groz Beckert needles that might cause tension problems. Using some threads, the GB needles can work, while with others, the while in other cases, the "tolerance" in timing will not allow good tension. I decided to use only MR's so I don't ever have to worry about it!

Teri

Hi Suzanne,

I did a batik quilt last year and have one on the machine right now, I have an MR 3.5 on and using Superior Thread- varigated (Marilyn Badger's). The thread has a lot to do with the needle size but I like to have the smallest hole I can and as long as the thread isn't breaking, I do have the top tension very loose. I won 1st place for Electric Needle catagory so I must have done something right and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this year's show.

Hester:P

Originally posted by suzakel

:) I just answered my own question! Columbia River Quilting sells these needles specifically for APQS machines, so I guess it's ok to go ahead and use them!

I'm still interested in what other people like to use when quilting batik quilts.

Suzanne

I got the batik quilt quilted! I started out with the Groz Beckert needles but quickly switched. I was also using Rainbow Thread by Superior for the first time and the needle kept coming unthreaded. I switched to the MR needle and had less trouble. Unfortunately I didn't have a 3.5 on hand so I used a 4 which is a little big for batik and Rainbow thread but it turned out well and the customer is happy.

I also talked to Mark at APQS and he assured me that the Groz Beckert wouldn't hurt my machine but their experience is that when someone is having trouble with their machine and they have GB needle they switch them to a MR and that can solve the problem. He also said some people swear by the GB needles.

I'll be more careful in the future and make sure I order the MR needles.

Archived