Need Suggestions - Split Ohio Star Block

I'm coming to the experts...I'm stumped!

A new customer has given me a huge QOV that she made for her son. It is called "My Country" and is made from a Fons & Porter Magazine pattern.  The quilt is beautiful; red, white and blue (duh!!) with log cabins in blue and white and then split Ohio Star blocks in red, white & blue.  They are my problem!!! 

I am wondering what you guys would do with this block.  They are big, 12" blocks. Initially I thought of red thread in the red fabric, etc., however, the more I thought about that, the less I liked it.  I will still quilt the log cabins with matching thread in each (blue w/blue thread; white w/white) doing the same design in each of them.  Its just these darn OS blocks. 

HELP!!!

post-2881-0-78680000-1423103795_thumb.jpg

Hi Dory. If you don't want three thread color changes, you can stitch the reds with dark blue thread and it won't detract from anything. Use white on the white and stitch CCs throughout. Then switch to blue and do CCs on the red and blue. Those two plain corner squares in red and white might need double CCs to fill the space, since I assume they are four inches square. Or you can mark a diagonal to mimic the two other corners and stitch CCs as if there was a seam there. That would balance the stitching.

It's very pretty.

Linda, YOU are a lifesaver...and I don't mean the peppermint kind!!!

My original thought had been CC's, but I just didn't want to split that block up into three thread colors.  I love the idea of matching the blue and using blue on the red.  I'm going to go look at that right now...

You may have just saved my life!!!!!

Robbin - CC is continuous curve.  It is like outline stitching a quarter inch from the seams, but with a machine you curve from corner to corner and can follow the seams very quickly. It is great for the triangles and square blocks. Here is one video (of many out there) that demonstrates it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP3KgqdSNus

You're welcome, Dory! (It's easy to give advice when it's not mine to quilt! ;))

I do most of my charity work on QOV quilts. It's gratifying to think about the recipient as you're stitching.

I want to add for Robbinsbobbins that while the video of CCs shows using a template to stitch them, it's not necessary if the pieces are small enough that you can eyeball it. 

Archived