I Really Don't See What You Get Out Of Quilting

I have a friend who is probably the finest woodworker I've ever personally known.  He's an engineer by trade.  He's a perfectionist.  He has a woodworking shop woodworkers would dream about.  He has all commercial grade equipment.  He has a CNC router for inlay work.  He built musical instruments (mountain dulcimers) if you know what that is.  His waiting list to get one of his instruments was over 2 years.

In a past life a few years ago I was a woodworker.  My 2 car garage was filled with woodworking equipment.  I had the best  woodworking tools available (not commercial grade).  I also made musical instruments (mountain dulcimers).  I was good but nothing compared to him.  I had a pretty good part time business selling custom instruments.

His wife is a quilter.  Another perfectionist.  Has a beautiful quilting studio.  When I saw that I probably wouldn't get to do a lot of woodworking when I retired I took up quilting.  When we got together I talked woodworking with him and quilting with her.

One day he told me, "I just don't see what you get out of quilting."

So I told him.  "It's just like woodworking.  They are both expensive hobbies.  The initial purchase of equipment is expensive.  Then you start adding all of the extra's and you pay even more.  You have a computer operated CNC router to help make perfect inlays.....quilting machines can have a computer operated system to help make perfect designs.  You spend time planning and laying out your designs.  Quilters do too.  You go to lumber yards to choose only the perfect boards for your instruments.  Quilters go to fabric stores to purchase the perfect fabric for their designs.  You cut out the woodworking using precise measurements so that everything fits together perfectly.  Quilters do the same.  You glue up the boards so well that you can barely see a joint.  Quilters piece their fabric so that the seams are perfect.  Once built you have to sand, stain and put a durable finish on it.  Once the quilt top is completed it has to be quilted to make it last.  The end result:  Something you created that you can be proud of the design, the craftsmanship that went into it.  So woodworkers and quilters are just alike...one uses wood and one uses fabric."

His wife was sitting back grinning and agreeing.  He finally said, "I had never thought about it like that.  I guess you are right."

David

I once had a gentleman say I don't understand why you take a perfectly good piece of fabric cut it into little pieces then sew them back together.( His wife was a quilter and he always said this to her.) I immediately responded to him and why do you take a perfectly good piece of metal cut it in pieces and weld it back together....He does not say that anymore ;)  

Well said David!

I often wanted to take up woodworking because I love creating and the beautiful items that can be made from wood.

But, time and money only permit one not-so-cheap hobby at this time and since I've sewn since I was little quilting just made sense.

DH and I both have expensive hobbies..........he is a competition Trap Shooter, therefore, likes all the pretty guns and stuff that goes with them.    I love quilting and all the gizmos and gadgets and fabric that goes with that.   We are both happy and understand the other's passion for their hobby.   We are seldom bored and still find time to do things together like traveling.............I am sooooo glad we both have hobbies we enjoy.  We know a lot of people who are so bored and "have nothing to do"..........they need to be entertained all the time instead of finding something to entertain themselves.   

Hubby has snow mobiles, motorcycles and enjoys working on motors, machining and welding parts. He has his shop or garage out back I have the basement. I don't ask what he spends on parts, he don't ask what I spend on quilting. Mine us a business, his is a hobby for now I guess. My business also contributes to his hobby and vice versa. You have to have something you love.

Shirley

I had to grin (no, actually a big smile) as I read David's post.  My dad, now gone 10 years, was a craftsman woodworker.  He was repairing the spindles on an antique rocking chair when the aneurysm hit.  My mom had recently taken up quilting and he had maticulously make her templates from masonite because he knew things had to be exact.  He was so proud of her first quilt because he understood the craftsmanship that went into it.  I live by what he always told us:  "You must have the right tool for the job".  He would be so proud of my APQS Freedom!!!

I've known many people over the years that had "A" hobby.  They couldn't wait to retire so that they could spend all of their time doing that hobby.  Within a year they were back at work because they grew tired of doing that one hobby over and over and over.

When I mentioned I couldn't wait to retire they all told me you will be back.  You will get bored soon.  And I did go back the first time but not because I was bored...but because they pretty much offered me way too much money to turn down to help them finish a job.  As soon as it was finished I retired again.

I told them they did not understand how it works.  You can only do "A" hobby or anything else over and over so long before it gets boring.  They played golf or they fished and it soon became boring after playing or fishing  day after day after day.

I told them I have many hobbies and when I get bored with one I switch to the next one.  When that one becomes boring I go to the next one.  I love to quilt, play my dulcimer, shoot my handguns, camp with wife, fish, ride my motorcycle, woodworking, etc.  A year and a half into retirement and still not bored.

As Linda B. stated some just need to be entertained.  I'm NOT one of those.  I have learned to entertain myself.

David

Maybe it runs in David's...I also have multiple hobbies, but I am also a workaholic so I have failed retirement twice, but part time works for me and allows me to indulge in my past-times. I have lots of them...but a representative few...Quilting/sewing (of course), woodworking, Antique Car Restoration, camping, astronomy, knitting (just starting), off road 4wheel driving (Jeep), Ham Radio...probably I am forgetting a few but you get the idea. I don't usually get bored! My DW is an Artist and works in many media from Glass to painting, printmaking, drawing. We love getting out together to go camping with our sweet little dog.

DH and I have often commented that we think we are busier now than we were before retirement..........but now we are busy doing fun things and not busy with work and things we HAVE to do.   Fortunately, we are both still in good health so we can travel and do things.  Then we have 5 grandchildren that require some spoiling........ :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Archived