Tshirt quilt

This is the tshirt quilt that I made from start to finish for a client.  She wanted shirts on the back also, so I made a block for the center.  The problem with the back was not all the shirts were the same size so I had to figure out how to make them work out.  I tried my hardest to get it to line up correctly to quilt, said a prayer, and got 'er done.  Nothing fancy. I always tell people the front is the queen and the back comes out how it comes out after I've tried to line it up.

Thanks for looking,

Joan

post-3214-0-68299400-1423243484_thumb.jpeg

post-3214-0-30673300-1423243663_thumb.jpeg

NIce job.  By coincidence, I just had a lady contact me to make a queen sized T shirt quilt.  I told her $250 for preparing the shirts, piecing, quilting and binding.   She sent back a message and said, "I'll have to pass. The lady back home made the last one for $45."   I wanted to reply and tell her materials would cost more than that, but my husband told me not to because it would seem like I was arguing with her.   That's why I can't make nay money; people want me to do things for free, basically.  I had an email last week for somebody wanting me to quilt a queen sized Dresden plate.  That person only wanted to pay me $50.

I wish I knew how to make people understand.

NIce job.  By coincidence, I just had a lady contact me to make a queen sized T shirt quilt.  I told her $250 for preparing the shirts, piecing, quilting and binding.   She sent back a message and said, "I'll have to pass. The lady back home made the last one for $45."   I wanted to reply and tell her materials would cost more than that, but my husband told me not to because it would seem like I was arguing with her.   That's why I can't make nay money; people want me to do things for free, basically.  I had an email last week for somebody wanting me to quilt a queen sized Dresden plate.  That person only wanted to pay me $50.

It is frustrating Teresa..... Wish I could send them to the fabric store tell them to pick up a backing piece measuring 80``x 90`` and 7 yards of light weight interfacing and a package of Batting then we would talk about how much it would cost to make a quilt.

I know it's frustrating, Teresa. Realize though that people are searching for the best price and may give inaccurate information to push a point. (My my. That was a very PC way to say someone is fibbing... :P ) If "the lady back home" was doing this regularly, your lady would be using her again and not searching around for someone else. My take is "the lady back home" did this only once and as a favor to a friend---and maybe not for this person. And swore to never be caught in that trap again! So your potential customer is still searching for a good price and won't ever find one. 

• 1 month later...

I agree with all above.  I make a lot of these and when someone calls and tells me the size then I give them a price and if they want it done they pay the price otherwise someone else can do it.  We all put a lot of time into our work.  A good friend of mine wanted to make 2 for her grandkids and they are almost like my grandkids to me.  I helped her do the first one and she was amazed at how much time there was in making one.  Just yesterday she bought my lunch and helped me fuse the interfacing to one I am working on.  She told me she appreciates all I do for her and wants to help me any way she can.  She is just getting into quilting and since I just retired in on Jan.1 she loves to come to my studio to quilt with me and I love having her.

Archived