I'm not sure how I over looked it.

Well I got a shock tonight.

I'm having surgery on my foot tomorrow. I knew it was coming. We went through all the stuff the kids and hubby have to do while I heal. It will take 8 - 12 weeks. Missing out on laundry, farm chores, running the kids to school and other activities, cooking, ect. oh so sad right? Lol umm no. I was thinking more time to sew. I'm worried we will be living off hot dogs and in dirty clothes, yes. I have my mom and a family friend coming to help out the first couple weeks, so that will be a huge help. I thought I had everything figured out. But here is the shock I won't be able to sew or stand at my longarm? How did I not think of that? I'm finishing a quilt top tonight at my dsm and it all of a sudden hits me. Like a brick. They told me no pressure on my foot. Not even a shoe. Still did not sink in until tonight. Denial? I'm not sure what is going to keep me sane. I suggested getting a new sewing machine without a foot pedal. Yeah that did not go over well lol, so that's not an option. The one time I'm caught up on binding and my cross stitching done. I have nothing for hand work here. I guess online shopping is in ordered lol.

I'm hoping you ladies post a lot so I can live through you for the next 8-12 weeks healing.

Piece your next quilt by running it with your other foot. I have seen scooters that you put your knee on, maybe after a few weeks you can get one of them. Just throwing a few ideas out there. You probably won't want to do much of anything for a week. Read a good book and draw and design your next quilt, doodle.

Shirley

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! My heart goes out to you! On the other hand, I have lots of unfinished bindings waiting to be hand sewn if you'd like me to send them to you! Just a little something to keep your hands busy, lol

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Good time to get caught up on quilt shows, blogs, practice drawing new designs, maybe a Craftsy class or two!

Shirley I asked the Dr about the knee scooter, he said a couple weeks I can get one. Thank you that will make getting around easier.

As of right now I'm pretty loopy so all sharp objects are away from me hehe.

I tried sewing last night with my left foot. Man that was slow and Jerry but I'm sure I will try again when I'm able and will get better.

I found a bag full of yarn. I see crocheting in my near future.

Thanks for everything ladies.

Haha!  Feel better soon!!!!  On the scooter idea, my pal broke his foot and had the scooter, loved it, but for a stationary idea...he said a piano bench was the right height to stand at the counter (or quilter) and kneel on the piano bench with his bad leg.  pillow or beach towel for cushioning.  Wonder if that would work after the first week or so?  Good luck!  And speedy recovery.

Beth

I am hand piecing a thimble quilt (1" pieces) right now.  Ever thought of doing something like that?  You could have your whole top done in the time that you are laid up.  Hope you heal quickly.  I am sure you will find something to occupy your mind and your hands.  Good luck!

Hand sewing would be nice but my quilt room is down stairs. No way to get down there to cut fabric. Right now my foot needs to be above my heart. Apparently it had not been high enough as I had to go to ER with bleeding last night. Yippee me another 48 hrs with it up in the air. After a couple days I'm going to sit on my butt to scoot downstairs. That should be a sight lol. Until then dr says to lay on my back and behave. A grown women being told to behave lol. I was using my crutches and looking around for something to do upstairs lol. I thought i was behaving. Now I'm grounded to the couch on my back with extra time added to my sentence. If my foot didn't hurt so bad I would throw a tantrum and scream it's not fair like a 2 year old.

Thanks ladies for all the ideas. As soon as I can manage my escape off this couch I'm going down to get some fabric.

Archived