Credit card(s)

Does anyone take credit cards? What is your experience with this? A member in my guild is wanting to get a credit card reader to attach to someone's smart phone ( won't be mine since I only have a dumb phone) to use during an upcoming quilt show event. I know it will eat into our profits ( 3 to 5%) and choosing the right one - Visa or MC or both would be a consideration. Looking for any information, advice, experience to justify this issue.  Thanks

Although I can't give you any details as I don't have knowledge of them I can tell you that my guild used one at their last fundraiser.  Members and guests were able to use credit cards and quite a large chunk of the money raised was charged to credit cards.  I would assume that the service will be made available again the next time around as it proved so popular.

We have done this at our quilt show also. We sell quilts as well as boutique items. We prefer cash or check but most people like to make large purchases with a card. If it means losing a sale because no one has cash or a check available, I'd recommend using the card reader. You can have a threshold for card sales--like only for purchases over $50. I went to a huge antique show where no one was taking cards. There was an ATM in the building so no one seemed to mind. 

As a customer speaking, you might actually make more using credit cards.  If I go to a show with only a few bills in cash I am very selective about what I pick up.  If I know that I am using my card, I am not as aware of the totals that are accumulating since each purchase is "only xxx" It is also nice that when I get home I have a receipt arrive in my email of my purchase that I can print and keep.

I am in Canada, and assume that you are not, but wonder what happens regarding the card reader etc. after your guild show, or whatever, is over.

I'm not sure if you can get the account set up, and the reader etc. for a one-time event. Here, there is a monthly fee even if you don't process any transactions. That, and the account fees, can add substantially to costs.

Just a thought.

Janice

You can get a Square card reader. It was free I'm not sure if it still is, there's also one that ties in with QuickBooks by Intuit. You can also let your customer know that there will be 3 to 5%, whatever it is that the company charges you, added onto the cost of the product, that way you don't incur those charges. Most people don't have a problem with that. In most cases you increase your sales that way if they can use their credit card.

I have Square (just used it today for the first time too!) and it charges 2.75% for swiped credit cards per transaction, or 3.5% + 15 cents for manually entered cards. There's no monthly fees and it doesn't cost anything for the regular reader. There's a new EMV reader that's coming out this spring to handle the newer chip style credit cards. That one will be $29.99 so it's only worth it if you get a lot of credit card business. So far I'd say that it was easy to use. You just have to have a good signal on your smartphone so that the card will process right away.

My DW is an Artist and has used The Square for a few years. The fees are as Tami listed and it has actually increased sales because people often don't carry large amts of cash...it has been very easy to use, but you should get one early so you can practice a bit and the usually want to do a test transaction before you go live (at least they used to).

Archived