Valerie.  The designs are all from my head.  I do have a whole lot of flower pictures that I have taken over the years if I need them for anything, but rarely use them anymore.  What I do with the more stylized ones is make a simple but realistic sketch, or layout of a sort of bouquet like the center, and then put a piece of tracing paper over that and simplify the drawing more.  Then I do it again, making more changes.....sometimes I do this three or four times because I tend to overdraw and make things too realistic.  For quilting, I find that it helps to simplify the drawing....a lot.  Hope that helps.

Linda B., I design my own quilts.  I make lots of sketches and add/subtract as I go, making simple or sometimes drastic changes to the original drawings......if there is something that I have drawn and really like it, but it no longer fits into the current drawing, I will save the small sketch and use it later on something else.  Everything on this quilt was drawn on the final pattern, but then after the whole thing was done, I decided I hated the center and had to redo it.....change is a good thing.....oh, almost forgot....yes, I pretty much usually start in the center and work out.

Do you ever teach classes?  i would be interested in attending one.

Heidi Patterson

APQS Blissed Millennium with Quilt Path

APQS Sales Rep - Educator - Authorized Service Rep

Boise, Idaho

208-861-5018 (cell)

Oooh.  That's so pretty.  I've been wanting to do a whole cloth for several years too.  I'll need to start small.  That is drop dead gorgeous!  And it makes me want to get started on mine.  Thank you for sharing!

68580D71558C5CD4FA14E80CBBEC4870.png  Millenium with Circle Lord, Bliss and IQ

Wow!!!!  That is amazing, those flowers are unbelievable, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.  And the trellis in the center, the scrolling of the feathers, so creative and unique.  Good luck at MQX, I look forward to seeing this one in the winner circle!!

-------

http://suedaurio.blogspot.com

APQS Millennium (April) Hand Guided