table/wheel upgrade

Noel

Noel

I inquired about a new bliss table for my Ultimate 1 a couple of years ago and I think the price was about five thousand dollars.  Jim Erickson is the guy to talk to about your wooden table.  He says with a few tweaks it is a very good unit.  In my opinion there is nothing wrong with vertical wheels either.  If you know a fabricator/welder I guess you could have a new table built but it is probably not necessary,  you should be able to add the I/Q to your existing table.

Nigel

Noel:  Are you sure the table is 10 foot?  When I bought mine the seller told me it was a 10' table, turned out it was really 12 foot. The mover was expecting a 10 footer when he went to pick it up, he was surprised,, but I think I can help yo  but that's another story.   I've only seen 12 foorters.  I haven't seen all that many, but nothing other than 12'.

As far as the wheels go, Edgeriders are the after market option.  I've heard that Kasa Engineering is no longer making them.  If that's so, You'll have to do some improvising.  Let me know.  I think I can help you there if you'd like.

I was told by Helen B when she installed my Intellistitch, that IQ is/was available for the Ult2 with wooden table.  Does your's already have the intellistitch upgrade?  I believe the Intelliquilt installation requires the I/S.  I've also heard that Kasa is no longer doing Intellistitch up grades.  If that's so, and you don't have the I/S on your Ult2, you'll probably have to get a different machine.

How handy are you?  There's nothing wrong with the wooden table, but there are some things you can do to make it better.

After you consider all this, if you still think you want to go ahead with your Ult2, let me know and I'll be happy to offer advise on the wheels, and the table.  I'm really happy with mine.  She doesn't have I/Q, but she's got almost everything else.  I'd have to think long and hard before I'd replace her with a different machine.  Regards.  Jim

I bought a set of the edgerider wheels from a forum member.  They work great on the machine head. They won't work on the carriage because the groove in them is too shallow and narrow to fit well enough on the rails to roll.  So, I have edgeriders on the machine head and the old composite ones back on the carriage.  The carriage ones are the ones I really needed to replace

Teresa, buy a set of Easy Glide wheels for a Gammill Classic from Vern Reeves in MT.  Use two grooved ones and 2 flat ones on your carriage, of if you insist all 4 grooved ones on the carriage (I think the grooved and flat combo is best, but you be the judge)  They'll cost you about $180, but I believe they'll solve your dilemma.   Jim

• 1 month later...

Hello jimerickson & chickenscratch thanks for your replies. Sorry I have not slowed down to respond, so my husband is VERY handy......do tell? The wooden table is 120" / 10 ft by 25 1/2" wide. So we have inquired about tables/ & everything else a newbie would need to check out and wowzers is there alot to know/learn/remember! But I am determined!! Saving money to purchase new table for now.

I can't help at all with the wooden table other than to say - I had an Ultimate 1 (on an aluminum 14 foot table) and recently traded up the machine head to an older Millie.  I upgraded the carriage and to MM wheels (I had previously had Edgriders that I think must have been worn out) and it made a WORLD of difference for me.  I don't know if that is an option or not for the wooden table or not because I have zero experience with it...but I had thought I needed a new frame and that small upgrade alone was enough to make quilting vastly better for me.

• 2 months later...

Yes Battynurse.

The two roller bars go to the front of machine. Other than that just as Jim said. I replaced all three leaders. Purchased IQ & IS. Repacked the gear grease. She runs like a champ. I purchased everything through APQS. Make sure you order some machine oil if you have not already. Initially I had the sides raised slightly but I have since leveled the sides and it is better.

Thanks Noel, I also figured out my biggest problem and why it didn't look right. The two guys who picked it up at the shipping dock for me helped put the table together yesterday. Today I discovered they put the legs on the wrong sides and the place to put the smaller side bar to hold the side steady was under the table. As soon I figured that out and took it all apart and put it back together it is great.

Archived