Broke needle on needle plate

Queenanne

Ok, I broke my Millie.  :(  Happily oiling after a finish and without thinking, I swung the open needle plate back to catch oil drops while the needle was going:blink: Bad.

Needle broke on plate, never went into bobbin area.

Put in new needle, lIghts come on but no needle up/down or sewing. Handle buttons do nothing. I can turn the flywheel and needle goes down/bobbin assembly turns. The needle appears to be in the right place (eye just visible at full depth of needle bar).

I've checked 2 fuses (by power plug and under the top- Canada). Does a blown fuse look black or any different? These all look normal and clear. I replaced one with the extra in the box, but dont have another to change the second one.

Have I jammed the needle bar somehow? I looked at manual for where to find the needlebar screw but haven't played with this yet.

Any ideas before I phone for help tomorrow?

Thanks, Anne

Anne, yes, you've broken your Millie! Good news is that it's just temporary! If you can see the proper amount of needle eye, then you probably haven't jammed the needle bar. Most likely, you've blown one of your fuses, but you're working through that.

Before you call tomorrow morning, you can do a couple of things: first, post all this same info in the APQS Help forum. And send an email, with all the info, to service@apqs.com, marked "high priority." You might here something back from Amy or Dawn even before tomorrow. Good luck!

Anne

If you have a  "The Source" store near you get a few spare fuses.  The one under the top cover is the one for the motor and it is a 3.15 amp 250 volt slow blow fuse.  You can use a 4.0 amp slow blow if the 3.15 is not available.  Yes sometimes they can be hard to see if the are blown.  I think ninety nine percent chance nothing is hurt other than the fuse and your pride.  And don't think I haven't done the same thing.

Nigel

I believe all you need is another fuse.  My milli did the same thing, I changed the fuse and all is good!  Sure was scary when it first happened tho....I thought I'd threw out the timing or wrecked it somehow.  My hubby is an electronics tech so he told me to check the fuse...sure enough.

Rita

Update on sad Millie-

This morning I discovered that there are 3 locations for fuses (not 2 as listed in the manual)!  I had found the 6.3 fuse beside the plug and the forward 2.0 fuse. Today I found the motor fuse 3.15 and voila, it was definitely blown and black.

A quick trip to the Source and I have a supply of all fuses now. Installed the 3.15 and Millie is purring again!

Thanks to Amy for her reply and photos. I am constantly amazed at how easy these machines are to methodically work through assembling or fixing 'at home'. A true workhorse!!

Thank you, APQS family for all your help!

(and Barb, I dont know how to post this to the Help forum as you suggested??)

Anne

Anne,

If you go to the listings of all the different forums, one of them (partway down the list) is APQS Help, with sub-listings for Maintenance, Setup, Stitch Regulator, etc. Dawn keeps an eye on those forums, when she's not otherwise occupied, so it's a good place to post a plea for help. So glad you got things figured out! Plus, I learned something too: I had no idea there were THREE fuses in the Canadian machines!

Archived