Satin Practice Wall Hanging

Hi everyone!  I've been off the forum for some time busy with many other things as well as trying to get my shoulders healed.  Not so much on that, but we did some modifications on the way my table was set up, including raising it to very high waist level - basically midriff - and I think that has helped quite a bit. I can fully rest my arms on the belly bar now without any tension and that is so great! I would be interested in knowing how high others of you have yours, and if the height of mine is the odd man out.

Anyway,  I had advertised my machine, since using it caused so much extended pain, but not too many were interested in a machine mine's age.  So we made those changes, and I am so glad we did (and that it didn't sell at this time.) I thought I would try some ruler work, which is one thing I struggle with with my limitations, and I found I still don't have much control holding them in place.  So ruler work quickly became play time.  And I had a blast - and the best thing is far less pain than usual.  The changes worked!   Here's my play on a piece of ivory satin with Glide and Bottom Line.

post-5120-0-96307300-1424442285_thumb.jpg

post-5120-0-65849600-1424442331_thumb.jpg

That is beautiful !   So glad you found a way to use AND enjoy your machine.    I have mine up high too, but mostly for my lower back pain.   It also helped so I stand up straighter and not slightly bent over.  My arms rest on the belly bar so my forearms are at a 90 degree angle to my shoulders.   

Gorgeous quilting; glad you didn't sell either! Marci, while standing I too, find the best position for me is the midriff. It is higher than my elbows but it is the most comfortable for me as it eases my neck and shoulder pain. I can see better so I find I don't crook my neck, LOL. I have a lift and change positions a lot and it also helps!

Mine is at 40 3/4".  That was the highest we could get it with 3/8" wood pieces under each table leg.  My arms are outwards a bit and rest on the bar when I quilt, and I have so much more comfort than I had when I had it at waist height where my elbows were level when arms were bent.  It doesn't seem ergonomically right, but it works!

That is fabulous Quiltin.

my height is at my belly button always thought it would be better a llitle higher but I am not sure if can go much higher I am on the taller side.

My belly bar is at 38 1/2" is anybodys higher than that?

Well, thank you all so much for your kind words.  I've had my machine now for four years, and I'm almost ashamed to say it took us this long to just go ahead and try the table higher than recommended.  What a difference, and I'm glad we did. It just goes to show that never be afraid to keep trying and not give up!  Again, thanks so much! :)

Thanks, all, for the kind words and encouragement. I think I gave up in my mind quite some time ago, pain does that if you don't find a way to get around it. I just hope others who are struggling with their machines or don't think they have what it takes will keep trying one more thing and see if it helps. I'm not a prolific quilt top maker but the freedom free hand quilting gives does me good. I'm pretty sure that one day the Ulti I will be like the Singer Featherweight - only a whole lot bigger :) I, too, am glad it didn't sell!

Archived